This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Installed HP printer no longer working

jsgsix

Mon May 19, 2014 5:33:30 am

Just recently I successfully installed Zorin OS 8 as a dual boot system on two computers (a Dell Optiplex GX620 P4 w/2 GB RAM and an HP Compaq dc7600 P4 w/2 GB RAM). I also successfully installed my wireless HP PhotoSmart 6510 printer on the Zorin 8 side of both computers. The printer was working flawlessly. Then, all of a sudden, the printer stopped printing--on both computers. As I recall I was working on some photos in the GIMP Image Editor when the trouble started. Upon checking the print queue the print status would show "Held," but I could not release the file. Also, occasional errors would be reported: "CUPS server error. There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'Broken pipe.' Ironically, the printer continues to work fine when I am on the Windows XP side of the partitions! Should I just uninstall the printer and re-install it on the Zorin side? or is there a simpler way to get this printer to function correctly again? Also, what is the difference between the "var/run/cups/cups.sock" and a "localhost" for server? My wireless printer goes through my home router on my home network. Thanks.

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 5:42:59 am

Hi,

firstly see this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne

and this:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/365

Second; run dpkg per the update guide and restart and see if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 11:21:50 am

For a good printer install, once you have all the hplip etc packages installed, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

Is the wireless printer physically connected to the router? Even if not it could be acting as an 'LPRPrintServer'

I did a post elsewhere about this with a screenshot:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7183#p34317

jsgsix

Wed May 21, 2014 12:21:29 am

Before I tried some of the suggestions above I first tried an old Windows trick: I simply deleted my HP printer and then immediately added it again. Voila! Fixed! But I know something triggered my difficulties earlier and I will watch to see if I can discover in the future what the issue is. Thanks again for your help. I will keep your suggestions for later use in case my printer troubles return.

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 5:11:34 am

Hi,

it may well have been an update (newer kernel) that caused the problem?.

Have marked as solved!. :D