This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OpenGL Performance, Alsa surround sound, Slow Boot

superllama

Mon May 19, 2014 4:56:47 pm

I just put Zorin 8 on my dad's old Sony VAIO as an alternative to XP, and things are more or less working, but I've got three big problems (two of which are probably not the distro's fault) that I've tried for days to fix with no success... I really expected to like this distro and so far I've been slightly disappointed with the results, but I thought I'd give it a chance and at least post my issues here on the forum in case somebody knows what to do.

First off, likely by no fault of zorin or ubuntu but rather the radeon drivers, OpenGL doesn't seem to run very well with the old X300 in the machine, despite the card being able to run windows DirectX just fine. It runs compiz decently, but when I tried to run my dad's favorite game, Doom 3 (which the computer ran just fine under windows xp) it only barely played at the lowest possible settings. This is the native version of Doom 3 too, the wine version only got like 5 fps. I've tried various video drivers-- the old card isn't supported by fglrx and the official legacy driver seems to be 64-bit only, leaving only the open-source radeon driver which is what I'm using now. I've also had compiz freeze when I tried using the desktop cube while a window was animating a close, I guess that could also be opengl-related-- plus sometimes the window previews from awn leave a corner on the screen which doesn't go away unless I bring up the desktop cube.

Second, also probably not the distro's fault; Alsa detects the ALC880, but does not output to the center/sub or the rear speaker jacks at all. I've tried lots of different settings, including changing the model to 3stack and 3stack-digout and various things like that, but I only ever get it to play through the front speakers, even when the sound configuration screen pretends to see 5.1 surround sound.

Third-- and I suspect other distros wouldn't do this-- when booting it shows the nice blue zorin logo screen for about 30 seconds and then shows a totally black screen for a minute and a half before finally showing the desktop. During this time, just about nothing is happening, and I can ctrl+alt+F1 and mess around in the tty just fine, and when I go back to F7 it's still black. While in tty1, I can run top and I don't see any particular process that's halting xorg or anything. Anyway, after a minute and a half of this it finally plays the startup sound and shows the gui, and things work fine from then on. Now, I suppose I could just be expecting too much from an old machine with a slow hard drive, but the fact that it doesn't seem to be working that hard during this loading time makes me think it probably shouldn't be taking so long.

I also might mention that the windows key not opening the zorin menu is very disorienting and it's frustrating that it remains impossible to set up that bind... and also that when I try to open sound or network settings through the system tray it only has a 20% chance of ever actually opening them...

Aside from this, the OS works pretty well, the interface is great and it runs chrome just fine. I'm still wondering whether I made the right choice installing Zorin 8 on this though. I guess I probably should have used the Lite version or Zorin 6 for such an old machine, though it doesn't have much trouble running compiz, but I doubt the lite version would fix alsa or opengl. Might help with boot times though. I'm guessing any ubuntu-based distro would probably still have the same opengl problems since they all use the same radeon driver, but I don't think the opensource drivers from other distros are really any different so I doubt I'd have much luck even if I tried running Arch or Gentoo or something. Idk, I'd really like to make this version work, because it really is a nice UI, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of Ubuntu, it's got a lot of good features for a novice user like my dad who's just now switching from windows, but if he can't play Doom 3 without booting back into XP then I kinda feel like my job isn't done yet. Having surround sound in it would be pretty awesome too. And it would be nice if it didn't take almost as long as windows to boot properly.

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 5:21:29 pm

Hi,

you might be expecting too much of an older rig, you could try Lite and build on that!.

Did you install "paman"? (Pulse Audio Manager) which is better than the Ubuntu sound manager and fiddle around with that to get your soundcard working?. Maybe sox & libsox-fmt-all?.

Code:
sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-all paman

Check out the AMD/ATI thread but READ IT CAREFULLY!, you seem to know what you are talking about but I think there must be a 32 bit driver somewhere!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6951

You might want to add some options to Grub so as not to stress out the system like "nomodeset xforcevesa".

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 7:51:31 pm

In respect of the Windows Binding key, install Gnomenu (guide here) which is what ZorinMenu is based on - then you will get your Windows Bind key to work! :D

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

You will need to activate the binding function here:

28.jpg

DON'T remove the ZorinMenu from the system, just remove it from the panel and replace it with the GnoMenu Applet in AWN settings! ;)

With regards to Doom 3 - take a look at these links:

http://www.blog.highub.com/linux/instal ... on-ubuntu/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1413433

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894519

In respect of your graphics issue, take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver.

:D

superllama

Mon May 19, 2014 8:39:47 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will try paman and sox and see if those help with the sound, and I'll also try the nomodeset xforcevesa. I already have doom 3 installed and working natively, it's just really laggy. Most of those radeon-related links I've seen before-- and I did download the legacy catalyst driver but it wouldn't install because it didn't like the kernel I was running. I assumed the default driver was the best I was going to get, but it's not using the card to its full potential by any means. I'll also look into gnomenu, but I'd rather keep the zorin skin since it looks more like windows... my dad said he doesn't really care if the windows key works, but it annoys me personally that it doesn't, lol.

EDIT: Just realized there's an fglrx-legacy package in the repo so I don't need to download ATI's -- I'll try installing that next time I boot it in linux.

EDIT 2: Or... perhaps there isn't. The internet implied there was, maybe it's in debian's and not ubuntu's? I guess I should keep looking for it lol

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 9:48:51 pm

This is GnoMenu on PearLinux 5 - Vista (or Win 7 look) - and would be the same on Zorin but you can use the 'Z'!:

46.jpg

Windows XP style - (but favourites does not work!):

22.jpg

Silver XP style (favourites does work) - power button does not.

17.jpg

;)

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 12:00:00 pm

Another thing, make sure you do a full system update, use this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command as it is quick and nasty but the best:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart and see what happens!. :D

superllama

Tue May 20, 2014 11:48:47 pm

Turns out the RV270 drivers are part of the R300 project, which remains incomplete-- that explains why the ati driver doesn't work very well with this card. All distros use the same driver so switching wouldn't help. If I wanted to use the old fglrx drivers I'd have to downgrade basically everything, and I can't find the right packages to do so, so I guess he's just stuck booting back into XP to play doom. Still no luck with the alsa surround sound either, though I'm still working on it. And updating the system didn't help with boot times I'm afraid.

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 5:15:01 am

Hi,

did you do a disk install and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Not burning at the correct speed can also cause system problems although it seems your main problem is graphics and drivers!.

superllama

Wed May 21, 2014 3:33:03 pm

Yeah, I burned it as slow as the burner would go on the very machine I booted with it. I've given up on the ATI drivers-- it seems the only way to make it work would be to install an ancient version of linux that still supports catalyst 9.3. I'm guessing Zorin 6 is still too new for that-- the only place I could find old an enough xorg version to install legacy fglrx is in the debian downgrade repositories, which broke literally everything when I tried to install it (and I had to do a bunch of .deb editing to make it even install at all, so I'm not surprised that it broke). At this point I'm sure the computer itself is to blame and I just shouldn't have installed such a feature-filled distro on it. After that disaster with the debian xorg-- it was starting and crashing the display manager over and over and repeatedly turning the gpu on and off, never long enough for the DVI to sync so I couldn't see anything-- so I just started the recovery console and went ahead and installed arch via netboot and tried to make it look and feel more like windows/zorin, and that's been a success so far with relatively speedy boot times (55 seconds from power button to usable gui, no login screens) and most of the features I was looking for (I used awn and GnoMenu with compiz, emerald, and pcmanfm). I'm sure I'll keep the Zorin disk around though in case anyone else wants to switch from windows with a slightly better computer-- I'm sure it's the hardware's fault, and since arch takes forever to set up I'd probably install Zorin on anyone else's newer computer-- Zorin has a wonderfully simple installer and even the partitioning is so easy I'd even feel safe just letting novice users borrow the disk and install it themselves, provided their computer isn't as old as this one is. I might also add that arch has the exact same trouble with the gpu and alsa, but I'm pretty sure the former is simply impossible to fix at this point (and really all it means is he needs windows to play doom-- chrome and compiz work fine), and the latter isn't really that important if he can't play doom anyway-- that's basically the only thing he used the surround sound with and it works in windows so there's no point in fixing it. Thanks for all the help though!

Swarfendor437

Wed May 21, 2014 5:27:35 pm

Glad to be of help!

Just found this:

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/ATI_Radeon.html

Would be very curious to see if AVLinux 6 (its a multimedia distribution built on Debian 6) - just try it live and see if the sound gets sorted on that!

http://bandshed.net/AVLinux.html :D