This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Show Desktop bug

Dongerini

Mon May 19, 2014 9:08:10 pm

Hi everyone.
I've booted Zorin 8.1 core 32 bit from live usb to check it out. As a person who works all the time on windows 7 with many active applications the "show desktop" applet is a must-have. Unfortunately, I've encountered a gamebreaking bug with the applet. Whenever I click it, all windows minimize and then I can return to the previous state by clicking it again. However, if I click on a minimized application on bottom panel, it doesn't unminimize and from then on I cannot show all hidden windows by clicking the applet. The only thing I can do with the hidden apps is to close them. Additionally, I've noticed that after clicking the show desktop applet(when I'm still able to hide and show all the windows) and windows hiding, a small white square appears in the top right corner, which, I believe, is not supposed to happen.
Sorry for my english, best regards.

P.S I've downloaded iso from torrent uploaded on 4th may, so I think it was an up-to-date version.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 9:58:03 pm

Hi, and Welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

Can't try and replicate that at present as currently on a different distro - but I suspect that the square at the top might be some sort of 'hot corner' that is reminiscent of 'Unity'/'Mission Control'. Not having an issue on this distro with 'show desktop' but did have an initial glitch where just one app minimized would not 'maximise' - it could be a GnoMenu bug as 'Show Desktop' is not normally on the default panel.
Absolutely NO GUARANTEES but you could try installing Cairo-Dock and add the 'show desktop' icon to that menu but you need to change the DE (Desktop Environment) at the Login screen to avoid issues if you do decide to give Cairo-Dock a try.

:D

SimonVM

Mon May 19, 2014 11:49:28 pm

Greetings, Dongerini;

I'm experiencing the same, so it's either an Ubuntu or a Zorin problem. :(

The show desktop applet *hides* your windows, which seems to be a different thing then *minimizing* them (which is what you want, I presume). Ubuntu websearch offers the Super+D key combination (which we call Windows-D ;) ), but is doesn't work out-of-the-box in Zorin, and if you activate it (in System Settings | Keyboard) it acts the same as the show desktop applet, it hides, not minimizes.

First work-around: use Ctrl-Alt-Ins - that minimizes the current window, and you can repeat it a few times to minimize all your open windows. Then you can re-open the one you want in the usual manner.

As to doing this for all open windows at once - right now I don't know how, but, just like you, I want this, so, one way or another, I'm going to figure that out.

Take care,
Simon

Dongerini

Tue May 20, 2014 8:47:13 am

To be honest I'm not an enthusiast of fancy keyboard shortcuts and I think that majority of casual windows 7 users show desktop by clicking bottom left corner of the taskbar (is it the word?).
But back to the bug, I don't really see any advantages of "hiding" windows over simple minimizing, so if the ubuntu applet "hides" all windows then why not just write your own one which will minimize them? I mean something like a bash script, but I'm a linux newbie so I don't even know whether it is difficult or not. I just wanted to provide some feedback about the OS and I think it would be cool if you included such applet in your future releases.
Best regards.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 20, 2014 11:46:36 am

Now that Unity/Ubuntu was mentioned - that's what happens in my adulterated install of PearLinux 5 - even minimized windows in 'Docky' don't show the blue spheres to show an instance of it being open/minimised - just fly off to the top left corner! It probably is a script/buntu issue in 'translation' - maybe 9 it will get sorted?

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 11:55:51 am

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command, then restart and see if the problem still exists!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

SimonVM

Tue May 20, 2014 1:53:14 pm

@Wolfman: Nope, running 8.1 Core 64, am up-to-date and unbroken ;)

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 2:31:47 pm

Hi,

try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

Then restart again!. :D

Dongerini

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:44:00 am

It's impossible since I used zorin 8 on live boot from USB.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:30:13 am

It's difficult to suggest a way forward as you are using it in 'live' mode anyway - might be worth PM'ing AZorin and zorink so that they are aware of the issue before 9 is released.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22:07 pm

Hi,

you can try editing the Zorin menu at bootup, when you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset xforcevesa" and see if that helps!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15:37 pm

Found a solution whilst usig Pear - install cairo-dock and apply the panel settings - then show desktop puts app in the panel at the bottom - and 'beams up' when activated again. ;)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:06:04 pm

Just uploaded a very tiny video (no audio) showing Cairo-Dock with 'show desktop' in operation:

https://vimeo.com/97363158

[18 minutes before vimeo can release for general viewing at time of posting! :D ]