This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Network-Manager Problem

Acer DeVille

Tue May 20, 2014 7:25:28 pm

OK, I have done it again, a stupid rookie mistake, I don't even know where my common sense was yesterday. I'm running an Asus laptop, running Z-8, While working on a problem in another thread (link at bottom), I followed some directions and installed exo-preferred-applications, so that I could change my default file manager to Krusader. Once I did that, I could no longer open Nautilus, which was a problem because there was problems loading a file manager from certain actions (which I don't remember know thanks to my memory problems). So after a few minutes of trying what I could think of, I went back to exo, and changed back to Nautilus as default, still could not open Nautilus. So I thought about it a minute and decided that the only thing I could do was to reinstall Zorin.

I reinstalled Zorin without formatting, then restarted, first thing I noticed is that I no longer have any network connections. Let me explain first my internet connection, my internet comes from tethering my cell phone, or using my phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Normally Zorin automatically connects to the wi-fi, as it thinks it's just a regular wi-fi router, and then it will immediately make a "usb0-network-connection", and connect with no problems. I ran iwconfig, it listed connections as lo, etho, and eth1 (or something similar, I really do have short term memory problems), any way those three and all say "no wireless connection". I've already rebooted into windows to post this, or I would go back and get the exact information, I just didn't think about needing it. I also ran "ifconfig", and it didn't give me any information at all. When I click "edit connections", it shows "eth0 last used never" and that is it, I try to manually add a wireless connection, put all the correct information in, and the pc just does not recognize any kind of connection, it's not showing 'usb0" either. So I really need to know how to fix this, I had this problem one time before on Kubuntu, but it was too long ago and I don't remember anything about how I fixed it.

Now what really pisses me off, after reinstalling, I did something through another program, clicked properties or something, and nautilus opened as the default, I was so happy. A few minutes later, I clicked on the Icon on the taskbar and nothing happened. The cursor indicated busy for a minute, then quit without nautilus opening. I was so frustrated at that point, and for some reason I went in the main menu, and clicked on the Nautilus icon, and you guessed it, Nautilus opened. The entire time the only thing wrong was in the taskbar icon, if I had thought halfway straight to start with I would have checked the main menu icon before reinstalling.

So here I sit, I don't know whats worse, the physical causes of my memory problems, or if it's all the meds I'm on for those issues that causes me to act stupid sometimes, but it is what it is. The really sad part is that up until about 5 years ago, I could build a computer in my sleep, starting with an empty case, and ending with a custom built OS, starting from a minimal install up to the last third-party software. Now I can't even remember to check the other icon before thinking a program is not working.lol At least I get a few laughs at myself from some of the bone-headed things I do.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 20, 2014 7:58:42 pm

Hi Acer, Sorry to learn of your woes! :(

Are you able to make a wired connection to begin with from your laptop to your router? If you can, boot with a wired connection and first-off do an update of your system and as there are some teething issues, I would add the 'force' command at the end (as per Wolfman! ;) )

So open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

After you have completed this, reboot the machine and once at the desktop, open 'Synaptic Package Manager' (either search in the Win 7 menu for 'synaptic' to get it to appear in the menu or Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) and search for 'ndiswrapper' - you may be missing two packages - 'ndiswrapper-dkms' and 'ndiswrapper-source' - after you have installed these, see if your network manager comes alive - it will announce if networks are available for your wifi.

If you used 'Windows Wireless Drivers' and you have a copy of the hardware's Windows driver disc with the appropriate '.inf' (driver) file, install that using 'Windows Wireless Drivers' from Menu | System Tools | Administration | Windows Wireless Drivers.

Keep us posted friend! :D

Acer DeVille

Tue May 20, 2014 9:14:03 pm

Unfortunately the only internet I have, without taking my pc to someone elses house, (which I may be going tomorrow anyway), is my phone. I have tried to find a way to use a regular router as a repeater, then I could hardwire the pc to the router, but so far, I can't get the router to pick up the phone's signal.I think I know what you mean, but what are you talking about with the Win 7 menu. I didn't have to use any windows wireless drivers in the past, I just thought about it, but I'm going to try and download a .deb n-m installer from my windows 7 install and see if I can reinstall that way, I'm not real confident, but it's worth a try. I wish I could remember what I did last time.

EDIT: I went ahead and just reinstalled again, and that fixed it. :D Who knows what happened, it just didn't install right.

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 5:17:21 am

Hi,

did you do a disk install and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Not burning at the correct speed can cause system problems!.

Have marked as solved!. :D

Acer DeVille

Wed May 21, 2014 10:57:33 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you do a disk install and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Not burning at the correct speed can cause system problems!.

Have marked as solved!. :D

I did do a disk install, and I did burn at the slowest speed, actually, I downloaded and burned this a day or two after 8 came out and I have used it to install on about well about 5 installs including these two, so I know it's not the disk. But, I've had installs (other than 8) do this before, something just doesn't install right.