This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin will not start after nvidia driver instaltion

Mr_83

Wed May 21, 2014 6:52:56 pm

I installed nvidias driver to my 9600 gt. But after reboot zorin will not start, i cant even start it in recovery mode.

Mr_83

Wed May 21, 2014 7:33:11 pm

when i tried to start in recovery mode it gives me same error then this guy
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7420

Swarfendor437

Wed May 21, 2014 7:41:26 pm

Hi Mr_83, I had similar issues after installing the highest version of the nVidia drivers ... and had to re-install. My advice is if you do want to install the nVidia drivers, keep it to 304 first then the later drivers after that (304 updates I think - but before you do add the specific drivers do a full update of your system with:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Also make sure that in Update Manager, the settings for 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to never.

Keep us posted!

Mr_83

Wed May 21, 2014 7:53:38 pm

re-install the zorin, Will everything be deleted if i do that?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 21, 2014 7:55:06 pm

Yes, I'm afraid so - I used a live disc to recover my data to external drive first, then reinstalled. :D

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 4:49:25 am

Hi,

see this thread for Nvidia drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

To keep your data intact and do a new install:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

If you cannot see the recovery menu, then the best option is to do a complete new install!.

Mr_83

Thu May 22, 2014 5:27:23 am

I can see the recovery menu, but it will start to old versions of OS. It just say that i have to congic my display, withc i can't do because zorin zreeses

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 6:00:14 am

Hi,

if you can boot into another kernel, do that that and install the drivers!. Or install them from the command line per the Nvidia guide in recovery mode!.

"Ideally the above command should be done at root level in the recovery menu, start your PC in "Recovery Mode" and activate "Network" (a network cable is required!) then click on "root" and enter the command, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume"!.

It is important to restart your PC again in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" as there will be updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg and possibly the "nouveau-firmware" for GeForce6 and above etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume" !!."

Restart and try and start normally and see if it works okay!.

Mr_83

Thu May 22, 2014 1:09:31 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you can boot into another kernel, do that that and install the drivers!. Or install them from the command line per the Nvidia guide in recovery mode!.

"Ideally the above command should be done at root level in the recovery menu, start your PC in "Recovery Mode" and activate "Network" (a network cable is required!) then click on "root" and enter the command, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume"!.

It is important to restart your PC again in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" as there will be updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg and possibly the "nouveau-firmware" for GeForce6 and above etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume" !!."

Restart and try and start normally and see if it works okay!.

Wolfman YOUR THE MAN. install the 304 drives and i was able to start zorin, then install the xorg drivers just to be safe.

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 2:17:36 pm

Hi,

good, I will mark this as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat May 24, 2014 2:39:44 pm

120 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D

(I must try that next time! ;) )

Mr_83

Mon May 26, 2014 2:33:19 pm

Agree. the desktopcube stopped workking thow but no big dill.