This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to play FullHD MP4 (mpeg4) videos in Linux

Anonymous

Thu May 22, 2014 8:37:28 am

How to play FullHD MP4 (mpeg 4) videos with more than 24 frames per second in Linux, up to 48 fps.. I only wonder why it is possible to do with the same hardware in Windows 7 with the MS software there, but any of Linux players (Videos, VLC , SMPlayer or xine) I tried don't manage to play that. We tried also in my son's laptop with Windows 7 and the Windows version of VLC and it did not either run 48 fps there. So I believe that VLC don't run 48 fps in any platform.

There is also the question, which video editor(s) can be used to make the final edited and running format to Linux players. I used the "Open Shot" editor and it worked to make a FullHD MP4 video for LInux using 24 fps , however the editor software crashed few times. Is there some community member who has more experience than I of this issue. Feel free to reply. I tried to look something from the web, from You Tube and so on, but I did not find there so much of this issue.

Only what I could find was this video of GoPro HERO 3 and Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwYkQHXxX40

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 8:52:10 am

Hi,

start with the app "kdenlive" for editing!.

Code:
sudo apt-get kdenlive

There is also "blender & pitivi".

See how that (they) work(s) and what framerate it (they) can use!. :D

Anonymous

Thu May 22, 2014 3:10:31 pm

Here is the video format and resolutions that a GoPro HERO 3+ makes. Of these FullHD resolutions the 24 and 25 fps can be used (tested), may be also 30 fps. directly. Other requires conversion to slower frame rate for VLC and other Linux players to run with normal speed.

Video System NTSC
PAL
Recording Media MicroSD card slot x 1 (Class 10 memory card required)
MicroSD card slot supports up to 64GB cards

Video Format Format: MP4
Codec: H.264
Supported Video Resolutions
4K (16:9): 3840 x 2160p at 15 fps
4K (16:9): 3840 x 2160p at 12.5 fps
4K (17:9): 4096 x 2160p at 12 fps
2.7K (16:9): 2704 x 1524p at 30 fps
2.7K (16:9): 2704 x 1524p at 25 fps
2.7K (17:9): 2704 x 1440p at 24 fps
1440p (4:3): 1920 x 1440p at 48 fps
1440p (4:3): 1920 x 1440p at 30 fps
1440p (4:3): 1920 x 1440p at 25 fps
1440p (4:3): 1920 x 1440p at 24 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 60 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 50 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 48 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 25 fps
Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080p at 24 fps

Also in the editors Open Shot, Kdenlive and Pitivi the monitor does not show the video clips very good if the frame rate is over 30 fps. Kdenlive renders the FullHD MP4/48 fps. video (3,9 Gb) to a HD MP 4/ 25 fps. video (1,1 Gb) with a good result. However it takes very long time, 2,5 hours with my laptop. In Pitivi I did not found any format conversion to get a good result. Open Shot is easy to use and makes also good conversions even if taking not so long time. I did not test the "Blender" yet.

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 3:52:52 pm

Hi,

please refresh my memory, what graphics card do you have?.

Did you install any drivers for said card?. :D

Anonymous

Thu May 22, 2014 6:42:17 pm

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8500 + graphics card in my desktop and an integrated graphics in laptop. It is a Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller / Intel Corporation. I have not installed any driver, both uses the original open source driver.

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 6:52:20 pm

For the Nvidia rig; I recommend installing this package:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

then restart and update!.

Don't touch the Intel rig!.

Try a video on the Nvidia rig once the drivers are installed and you have done the update and see how well it goes!. :D

Anonymous

Thu May 22, 2014 8:11:35 pm

I installed the Nvidia driver but did not help to the speed. It rund still slowly with "videos" and almost not at all with "LVC".

Here some pictures

The first one is the original FullHD with 48 fps

Nvidia testikuva 3.png

And the other converted to FullHD with 24 fps

Nvidia testikuva 2.png

In the side panel can be seen the bitrate and the framerate. There can be seen also some reduced picture quality in the later picture.

I believe that we try to run the cam with FullHD using 30 fps and try to use it without converting whether it runs with full speed with "videos" player.

Wolfman

Fri May 23, 2014 4:32:41 am

Anonymous

Fri May 23, 2014 7:38:31 am

Hi

I tried the MP4 (xVid) format conversion with different framerate settings and the result was following:

24 fps => 103,8 Mb file, OK file size ...............................Measured bitrate ca. 15000 kbps OK.
30 fps => 105,0 Mb file, not ok. should be ca. 130 Mb....... Measured bitrate ca. 15000 kbps should be 20000
50 fps => 105,4 Mb file, not ok. should be ca. 210 Mb .......Measured bitrate ca. 15000 kbps should be 30000

The original file MP4 (mpeg 4) values

48 fps => 209,3 Mb file ................................................. Measured bitrate ca. 30000 kbps

All the converted files worked with "VLC" and "Video" players and the picture quality was very good. However I don't believe that the framerates are according to set values even if it shows that value in the panel when playing with "Videos", due to there is not almost any difference in filesizes and bitrates. I believe that the conversion limit is 25 pictures/second in the MP4(xVid) format. I don't know any other explanation to that, that the filesizes are almost the same in all MP(xVid) files. That explanes also why all xVid videos can be played with VLC as shown in that linked You Tube video.

I still believe that VLC is designed to run the normally used 24 or 25 frametate videos and won't run properly bigger framerates. I may be wrong, but all tries indicate something like that. Don't know if there is then some settings in VLC that could be changed to run bigger fps values?

The problem is not to use 24 or 25 fps formats to run videos in Linux (with known available players) , but it requires now an additional converted file if bigger fps values are used in recording. To utilize the full potential of GoPro HERO 3+, you preferably use some bigger fps value to get good quality videos that can be played with Windows Media Player as such.

Anonymous

Fri May 23, 2014 12:13:36 pm

Hi

Following works best with VLC in case there is a FullHD MP4 (mpeg 4) videofile recorded with bigger than 25 fps. That have to be converted ie. to a HD MP4 (mpeg 4) file and using 24 or 25 fps. framerate. Then playing that with VLC the picture quality can be adjusted opening the VLC tools and setting the sharpness, brightness, contrast and saturation to best values. as seen from these pictures.

sharpness.png

sharpnes.png

The reason why FullHd (1080p) is not applicable to make the video settings is that the sharpness setting stops the video running there, it won't run any more if sharpness setting is only selected. So a better alternative is to use HD (720p). FullHD can be used, however the final picture quality can be adjusted better when a HD (720p) resolution with sharpness adjustment is applied. This is tested in my HP 530 laptop and these two pictures are from that screen.

Additional advantage is that the HD file is much smaller than the origimal FullHd file. (3,9 Gb => 965 Mb)

Here some HD video pic. quality reference pictures from a 1680 x 1050 resolution desktop screen.

HD ref 1.png

Hd ref 2.png

HD ref4.png

The original problem is half way solved to run Full HD videos in Linux. There is ways to do that. However what is still unsolved is how to run FullHD videos as FullHD resolution which are recorded over 25 frames per second without making a format conversion. Any of the tested players in Linux can not do that according to this examination case. If anyone has better ideas or experience whatsoever related to this, feel free to reply and give input to solve this problem.

Wolfman

Sat May 24, 2014 6:28:22 am

Hi,

what normal screen resolution do you have set as this will also reflect on your video playback I would think?. :D

Anonymous

Sat May 24, 2014 5:52:40 pm

Hi

I looked the display resolution alternatives in my ACER X222W display but there is not a resolution alternative that just fits to FullHD. The nearest is 1680X1050 that is the max. that I also have used. The aspect ratio is 16:10, so it will show the FullHd videos (16:9) with having a black areas in the top and bottom of the picture in fullscreen mode as shown in the earlier attached screenshots. I don't believe that it is an issue not to run FullHd videos there with bigger framerates than 25 fps.

The most essential question still is, can VLC ( or some other Linux player) run a Full HD video recorded over 25 fps framerate with normal speed in any conditions and with any HW setup. This information is needed to make good selections for future actions. It is almost impossible to get a solution to this not knowing that. Is it a SW or HW issue that all Linux players stacks or plays it slowly? Is there ie. a solution by adding RAM to get it working would be valuable piece of information?

There is also a problem to get any information from the player or editor softwares if trying to do something that is not possible. Only "xine" player opened a window telling that it runs slowly due to too heavy load when I tried to run FullHD file with 48 fps. The others only stops to run or crashes or editors make files that isn't what they should be.

Wolfman

Sun May 25, 2014 7:33:25 am

Hi Henri,

try "Dragon Player"!. :D

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... gonplayer/

Also, take a look here and try the suggstion for running mplayer-no gui:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625

"I would avoid installing the regular mplayer package, because it contains the long-obfuscated gmplayer gui. Use another gui. After you install mplayer-nogui run:"

Terminal command taken from above:

Code:
$mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau path/to/file

Anonymous

Sun May 25, 2014 11:10:46 am

Hi

I tried the "Dragon Player". That was not any better alternative to run FullHD with 48 fps than the others. For some reason it also grayed for some time the screen when started some FullHD or HD video with 25 fps. So it seems to be "one more" type video player to the menu.

I looked also the link to Ubuntu forum and find out that it is difficult to say whether there is any improvement to run 48 fps videos. There was in a way nothing "new" there, it was only telling that how to get "mplayer" working with Nvidia graphigs card. It may be little old information also. I can look it closer but I did not even quite understand the whole issue there.

The best alternative until now is to make a FullHD MP4 file with 25 fps for playing with all possible video players. Then if a sharper picture is needed so a HD MP4 with 25 fps using VLC player that offers also the sharpness setting possibility to get better picture quality. (This doesn't work in a FullHD). Here are two reference pictures explaining the difference.

The first picture is a FullHd (1080p) without sharpness adjustment. File size ca. 115 Mb/min.

FullHd ilm sharp.png

The second picture is a HD (720p) with sharpness adjustment in VLC. File size ca. 45 Mb/min.

HD with sharp.png

The original filesize from the GoPro HERO 3+ FullHD with 48 fps is ca. 220 Mb/min., so it is reduced now to 20% of the original.

Wolfman

Mon May 26, 2014 6:11:42 am

The 2nd pic looks much better!.

I cannot give you any more help on this matter as I don't really know any more than I do now!. :D

Anonymous

Mon May 26, 2014 7:35:10 am

Thanks Wolfman

I believe that we have tried here all possible alternatives to run FullHD videos with 48 fps. It seems however to be impossible with these softwares and hardwares that I have and what Linux can offer. However, we now know in very detailed the limits and possibilities of using the format conversion tools and existing players and editors to get the best possible result out of a recorded file, that could not run in any player or editor properly in Linux. Even if we could solve the problem only partially, I feel that this was a valuable result getting lot more information of making videos.

The pictures are all from a video that is recorded of a shooting test, so that the cam has been fixed on the head of the shooter. So it is like an additional shooters eye. looking the whole test procedure authentic way. It is slightly unconventional way to record. The environment there is also like after a war due to that field is also used to train some fire accidents.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 8:34:17 am

Hi, take a look at this post (an old one on ubuntuforums - but still relevant!):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost7702538

;)

Anonymous

Mon May 26, 2014 9:04:49 am

Hi

I looked that link and I got that impression that Blender could be a editor that could use bigger fps values than 25 or 30 fps, but what about the players? I saw that someone downgraded however to 720p with 30 fps. to run that file. I found Open Shot an easy to use editor and it supports many file formats to make converted files. It can be used to convert the 48fps files to smaller framerates but not for editing properly due to the monitor does not work quite well with that big framerate.

One question still, where I can find Blender if I want to have a look for that ?

Wolfman

Mon May 26, 2014 9:51:34 am

Code:
sudo apt-get install blender

Anonymous

Mon May 26, 2014 10:40:36 am

Blender seems to be "totally different", it requires some guided training session to get even level of loading files to the timeline ? There is not any "self explaining" things in that user interface. It will take time to get even started to do something with that.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 12:12:01 pm

I don't know if ffmpeg is the answer quoted at the start of that thread, and if like me you prefer an interface just install winff:

Code:
sudo apt-get install winff

43.png

Anonymous

Mon May 26, 2014 5:42:16 pm

Hi

I installed the Winff, but it seems to take forever to make a format conversion with it. I don't know if it helps the entire process due to in any case I have to edit the videos with an other software tool. I try to figure out a "standardized" process in Linux to make from a FullHD 48 fps original file edited final video files that can run in Linux, Windows and Mac OS. and having also best possible picture quality in each os. using however some "easy to use" tools, not to be totally messed up with complications there. This seems however to be complicated and time consuming. I make some test now with Winff, Open Shot and VLC if that "toolbox" is good enough to get things done. I will come back when I have some new results to tell of these tests.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 5:58:30 pm

Another application is 'Kino' but not used that much - seems to have quite a few editing options though:

46.jpg

Anonymous

Tue May 27, 2014 6:22:12 am

Hi

The WinFF doesn't work as it should, I tried to make a format conversion from FullHD 48 fps to FullHD with 30 frames per second, but it made a file that is only 10% of its original size. I do not know why. That file contains the whole video but with reduced picture quality. The info panel in "Video" player says that it is still FullHD 48 fps, but it is not that. ???

"Open Shot" editor works better doing a FullHD 30fps file that is half of the original size. In info panel it shows that it is a FullHD 30fps. However I wonder why the size is only half of the original, it should be ca.60%. I believe that it actually is 24 fps which is half of 48 fps. I believe that the fps changes can be only divided by 2 or 4, so that from 60 fps you can convert to 30 or 15 fps and from 48 fps to 24 or 12 fps and from 50 fps to 25 fps. That makes sense to leave every second or fourth picture away from the file.

"Open Shot" however does what it should do and works consistently. The best result using Linux sw regarding the picture quality is however achieved using a HV(720p) resolution with the sharpness setting option in VLC player. as mentioned also earlier. (The sharpness setting can not be used in FullHD)

"Open Shot" might not be the best editor in the Linux but it is a working one, easy to use and there is a good collection of " transforms" and "effects" to use and enough for home video purposes. The monitor works with FullHD up to 30 fps frame rates. User interface is easy to navigate and not too complicated. Only thing there is that it may crash if doing some mouse clicking to a wrong place when working, so the project work should be saved not to loose the work done.

So the final tool box to make video format conversions, editing and after that playing Full HD or HD videos in Linux consists now of "Open Shot" editor and "VLC" player.

Here still some evidence of the achieved best picture quality using the "Tool box" to make a HV MP4 (720p) format video, playing it with VLC player and using there the sharpness adjustment.

Evening.jpg

Hd ref 3.jpg

For Windows and Mac OS an edited FullHD (1080p) with 24 or 30 fps format can give a better picture quality than HD (720p) if some other player than VLC, like MS Media player, is used. So there should be an other video "Export" from "Open Shot" for that purpose. Alternatively there have to be used only the non edited FullHD 48 fps. video clips for best picture quality.

Wolfman

Wed May 28, 2014 5:06:27 am

Hi Henri,

according to this website, "Totem Player" and "Miro" are good for HD playback!:

http://hackyogi.com/best-video-player-for-linux/

Anonymous

Wed May 28, 2014 10:39:47 am

Hi

I have looked already earlier MIRO, it is preinstalled in Ultimate. It is interesting sw but it does'nt run FullHD with 48 fps either. I did not find there any picture quality settings. It is mainly dedicated to be used for some other purposes than only playing videos so it might not be the best for that.

Totem did not install using that terminal command. It said that Totem package does not exist. I feel that I have here now many good tools but I am still on the learning curve to find out all possibilities what there is. Video editing and playback seems to be a huge word whatever tools, formats, codecs, resolutions, frame rates and so on to select, so there is not time no computers to try all alternatives. I try now work with the editors that I can see what are the differencies between "kdenlive" and "Open Shot" to edit and make the best export formats to run in VLC that has untill now the best setting possibilities to get good playback. It is also clear that there are not editors that can run the FullHD 48fps so that it can be used in editing. Thanks however of the suggestions for players I can look also the Totem if I can install it somewhere.

Here are used conversion setings and some results from Open Shot editor to convert the Full HD MP4 48 fps video to a VLC usable format:

OShot settings.jpg

And here are the results playing it with VLC applying sharpness adjustment.

Open shot 1.jpg

Open Shot 2.jpg

Open shot 4.jpg

Open Shot 5.jpg

At least with Open Shot editor and VLC player can give a good enough result to make a video that runs in Linux players. The picture quality is better than what can be achieved with the original Full HD video in Windows with MS Madia Player, and the filesize is here much smaller.

Wolfman

Wed May 28, 2014 1:25:09 pm

Hi,

the install command for totem is:

Code:
sudo apt-get install totem

for the base app or:

Code:
sudo apt-get install totem totem-common totem-plugins totem-plugins-extra

The command on that website is wrong!.

Anonymous

Wed May 28, 2014 3:21:42 pm

Hi

I installed the "Totem", However it seems to be the "Videos" player already installed as default player. It installed additionally the plug-ins now to that. I wondered why it did not appear to the menu, but when I typed to search "Totem" it gave the "Video", so that has been tested also earlier. The name has changed?

What I find from "kdenlive" there is a PAL 1080p format .m2t that VLC possibly can run with sharpness option selected. I tested it already with a short clip and it seems to work. If so there is the best alternative to convert a FullHD 48 fps to a FullHD 25 fps video to run with VLC in Linux. Then the picture quality will be exelent. I have to look whether that can be edited in "Open Shot" or is it only possibility to use "kdenlive" instead then.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 11:53:48 pm

Have you looked at Cinelerra? It is a complex program that I could not get to grips with - I think it needs lots of resources to run correctly, but that said, computers need to have enough CPU Cache to do adequate video editing anyway. I had a quick peek in Cinelerra on AV Linux 6.1 and it can recored frames up to 60 fps - what is interesting is that there is no setting for 48 fps.

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 5:02:12 am

Hi

Where I can find the Cinelerra? I can look it. Is it an editor or player? I can edit the 48 fps file and make the format conversion with Kdenlive (and also with Open Shot) but the monitors doesn't run perfectly there. I believe that if I had a 64 bit version instead of 32 bit and more than 2 Gb ram it could work better. I still wonder why MS Media Player can run the Full HD 48 fps file in the same hw. without any problems but all Linux players and editors have more or less severe difficulties to do that.............. " Keep Windows to do things that you should do with Linux" ?? ;)

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 6:38:14 am

Hi,

take a look here:

http://pkgs.org/search/Cinelerra%20deb

and download the "deb" package(s) you need!. :D

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 7:21:31 am

Hi

I have worked with editors and formats and tried different format alternatives to run FullHD videos 25 fps in VLC with sharpness setting option connected. Only format until now I found from " kdenlive" editor seems to be xVid4 /avi that runs. It is on the limit. It runs only in my desktop but not in laptop that have less power. In laptop runs only HD (720p) formats with sharpness option connected. When playing videos, there should not be any other applications opened. It will stack the paying also even if these applications are not doing anything. If the best picture quality is targeted so FullHD xVid4/avi in VLC with sharpness applied can be the solution, if the computer is capable to run it. It seems to be lighter to run than the other formats that I tried. However the quality is there exelent as can be seen from these few screenshots.

Reason to that why it runs better is that xVid HullHD is not actually a real FullHD it is a fake FullHD that stores only 1440 x 1080 pixel pictures. Then there is used a anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio widening the 4:3 aspect ratio to that fake 1920x1080 size. Normally players make this automatically but in Dragon Player there is a setting to select the anamorphic 16:9 ratio. There is only 75 % of pixels compared to the real FullHd pictures. So it lowers the bit stream needed to a level of 8000 kbps. The sharpening post process can handle that bit stream in VLC but not just bigger. (In a HD (720p) picture there is only 44,4 % of the Full HD picture's pixels). I believe that this is the best video quality that I can get out of the used formats and video players at least with my desktop computer and Linux.

xVid 1.jpg

In this picture the texts and numbers can almost read now

xVid 2.jpg

xVid 3.jpg

xVid 4.jpg

xVid 5.jpg

Here is a flying bird in this picture, its not very sharp any more :D

The conversion of a half hours video from a FullHD MP4 (mpeg4) 48 fps (6Gb) video to a FullHD xVid4 (avi) 25 fps (1,6 Gb) format took 4 hours to do with "kdenlive" in desktop, so it seems to be also a hard, time consuming process. If Full HD (fake) xVid4 (avi) format doesn't run in VLC with shaprness so ie. HD 720p MP4 (mpeg4) format works and gives almost the same picture quality with sharpness setting there. An other problem is that the anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio can not be used in Windows Media Player, it shows only the xVid4 in 4:3 mode and I did not find any settings to change that to 16:10 widescreen mode.

Anonymous

Sat May 31, 2014 1:52:52 pm

The results in short form to run FullHD M4 (mpeg4) videos in Linux is following:

FullHD M4 (mpeg4) with 48 fps does not run properly in any editor or player I tried. It must be converted to a 24 or 25 fps format before editing or playing.

Depending which player or computer is used there are different alternatives to select the format to the conversion. First alternative is to convert it to a FullHD MP4(mpeg4) with 24 fps so it runs in all players and platforms and it can be edited in all editors. "Open Shot" or "kdenlive".

The disadvantage in this format is if VLC player is used,
it doesn't allow to use the sharpness setting to improve the picture quality. To enable sharpness adjustment a HD (720p) format or a fake FullHd XVid4 have to be used having the 1440x1080 picture resolution.

To run this format it requires an anamorphig 16:9 aspect ratio from the player. It gives the best picture quality in VLC player using sharpness setting, but all players, platforms and low performance computers (laptops) does not manage to run that heavy format with VLC and sharpness selected or alternatively an anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio video. I tried here the MS Media Player that did not run it in wide screen mode and I did not find any setting there to change it.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 31, 2014 2:20:43 pm

What you have to remember is if you are doing serious video editing you need enough RAM and more crucially a processor with as much Cache as possible - certainly no less than 6 Mb - advice provided previously to self on a different forum by someone who does video editing a lot. Professional Video users use High Specced Macs - I don't want to go that far! ;)

Anonymous

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:23:52 am

I don't want to go that far either. What I have achieved here using my existing HW and SW is near enough to the professional level videos, and better than normal DVD level picture quality. Only better can be find in a real Full HD Blue Ray disc or from a FullHD quality sending TV canal.

xVid 10.png

Additional advantage when using the xVid 4 format is that it can run in many digital TV sets HD Ready or FullHD devices (without any additional player or computer). There should however be a possibility to connect an ext. digital video source to run it there. TVs have usually a USB connection to plug a device there and run from that the videos. MP4 (mpeg4) format did not run, not at least with my TV.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31:49 am

From what I have read you would need to change from mp4 to avi - can you use winff to convert to microsoft avi? I have done this for downloaded videos to play on my Archos device.

Anonymous

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:21:52 pm

I looked the winff again and succeeded once to make a MS compatible avi with 720p. Winff works however inconsistently. I tried some other formats like xVid anamorphic and MP4 25 fps to make Full HD but it does what it wants not at all what I want. Mainly it wants to convert to a 480p format what ever you specify there. I preferably rely on "Kdenlive" or "Open Shot" to make a conversion, then I know what I get out there.

In Open Shot there is a MP4(xVid) format that is an anamorphig 1440x1080 pix format also. VLC can run it with my desktop computer sharpness adjusted but the TV does not run it. It gives slightly better (not much) picture quality than xVid avi due to there I have higher bitrate. The file is also much bigger than in the xVid avi format. A half an hour video 25 fps is 2,6 Gb there, instead of 1,6 Gb in xVid avi format. I preferably use avi due to it shows in TV, the filesize is smaller and it is available format in "kdenlive" that has more advanced features for editing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a new slightly better conversion from the MP4 48 fps to xVid4 (avi) 25 fps with using 10000 kbps bitrate instead of 8000. It seems to be optimal to an anamorphig 16:9 FullHD (1440x1080 pix). It doesn't stack in VLC and gives an exelent pic. quality, runs both in TV and in my desktop with VLC sharpness connected. The process to make all needed formats is slightly complicated due to there should be first a format that runs in the editors, preferably as high quality as possible ( a real FullHD) but less than 48 fps framerate. Then after editing you have to render it to a anamorphig xVid4 (avi) 1440 x1080 pix to run it with VLC, with best possible quality and in TV. An other FullHD file format is needed to run it in Windows and MACs with best possible quality. So if you have recorded FullHD MP4 48 fps or higher fps original file. there is four renderings to cover all possible needs of different formats. There should preferably be a real FullHD (1920 x 1080 ) 25 fps., a xVid4 (avi) (1440 x1080) 25 fps and a HD (1280 x 720) 25 fps format for the low performance computers (laptops).

Easy solution here is to use only some HD 720p (avi) format, so that it runs in all possible platforms, softwares and devices. It gives a smaller filesize and still reasonably good pic. quality too. Depending of the scope of the video there should be also selected the voice quality accordingly. If it is music video so a CD level stereo format to playback is the best quality. For other purposes a lower level of voice quality can be selected by using lower bitrate there.

Here is a reference screenshot of using the (fake) FullHD xVid4 (avi) with 10000 kbps bitrate. A half hours video filesize with this format is 2,1Gb

Screenshot xVid4 10 m 3.png

These results are valid with my computers and TV set only. There might be less performing computers or TVs that won't run all these formats or there might be more capable ones that can run better different players, editors and formats. I assume however that these tests and results represents an average home video makers possibilities to make and run (at least near) FullHD quality level videos in Linux. There is still huge variety of softwares and formats that I have not had possibility to test completely here. So, If someone has more or different experience doing videos so please reply and give input to this interesting issue.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:10:40 am

When running a high resolution video. It may run in the computer but if it is still too heavy, so it may not flow properly, it will be choppy. To flow smoothly the CPUs' loading should not be too high. Average value should be some 70 to 75 % and only the peaks near up to 100%. The loading may vary from 50% to 100% depending the speed of movements in the video pictures. The loading can be followed opening from the "System tools" the "System Monitoring" when running the video. With this test videos resolution, format, framerate, bitrate and used player and its settings can be selected to the best running ones. During this test all other applications should be connected off, also the net connection to get the right result.

CPU load.jpg

If the CPU load is not too high but it does not, instead of that, run properly then the graphics card or integrated chipset may be too low performing to run HD videos.

The screenshot picture is taken from my desktop with following specs. (optimized to run high resolution videos in my desktop and TV)

Prosessor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64x2 dual core 4000+ x2, 2.1 GHz with 2.0 Gb RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT (Gallium 0.4 on NV86 driver)
Display: Acer X222W, resolution 1680 x 1050 pix. (16:10)

Video: format AVI 25 fps resolution 1440 x 1080 with anamorphig 16:9 aspect ratio, (near FullHD quality, 75% of FullHD pixels)
codec: FFmpeg MPEG-4
bitrate: 15000 kbps

Audio: stereo, ac 3 (near CD quality)
samplerate: 48000 Hz
bitrate: 256 kbps

Player: VLC with sharpness connected "on" (sharpness adjusted)
Conversion done by using "Open Shot" video editor

Filesize: 120 Mb / min.

Using the same spec. with the FullHD resolution (1920 x 1080), sharpness option can not be used and the results can be seen from this screenshot.

CPU load 2.jpg

CPU load is slightly slower average 60 to 65% but the picture quality is much reduced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my laptop that is a HP350 with Intel Celeron(R) M CPU 440 @ 1.86 GHz, one core processor with 2 Gb RAM the results are following running with VLC without sharpness option. (Following two pictures).

FullHD (1920 x 1080 pix.) runs, but very near 100% CPU load so there might be some problems with that resolution.

CPU load 31.png

FullHD (1440 x 1080 pix.with anamorphig 16:9 aspect ratio) runs with 80% CPU load so there isn't any problems.

CPU load 41.png

However a HD (1280 x 720 pix.) with reduced 5000 kbps bitrate might be better resolution format with VLC for a laptop, using sharpness to get improved pic. quality. Processor runs then also here up to 100% as can be seen from this picture. (Filesize ca. 40 Mb / min.)

CPU load 52.png

The original problem how to play the FullHD high speed recorded (48 fps or higher) videos could not be solved. There probably is not such a player in Linux that could play that with a "normal" performance computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the recommendations from You Tube which formats for video and audio should be used if uploading videos there:

Advanced encoding settings

Recommended bitrates, codecs, and resolutions, and more

Container: .mp4
No Edit Lists (or you may lose AV sync)
moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)

Audio Codec: AAC-LC
Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
Sample rate 96khz or 48 khz

Video Codec: H.264
Progressive scan (no interlacing)
High Profile
2 consecutive B frames
Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
CABAC
Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
Color Space: 4.2.0

Frame rates

Frame rates should match the source material. For example, content shot in 24fps should be encoded and uploaded at 24fps. Content recorded at 30fps should be uploaded at 30fps. Content shot in 720p60, should be uploaded at 720p60. Content at 1080i 60, should be deinterlaced, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second before uploading.

Bitrates

Standard quality uploads

Type/..Video Bitrate/...Mono Audio Bitrate/.. Stereo Audio Bitrate/..5.1 Audio Bitrate
2160p (4k).. 35-45 Mbps... 128 kbps.... 384 kbps..... 512 kbps
1440p (2k) ..10 Mbps...... 128 kbps.... 384 kbps.... 512 kbps
1080p........ 8,000 kbps... 128 kbps.... 384 kbps.... 512 kbps
720p......... 5,000 kbps... 128 kbps.... 384 kbps.... 512 kbps
480p......... 2,500 kbps... 64 kbps...... 128 kbps.... 196 kbps
360p......... 1,000 kbps... 64 kbps...... 128 kbps.... 196 kbps

High quality uploads for creators with enterprise quality internet connections

Type/..Video Bitrate/...Mono Audio Bitrate/.. Stereo Audio Bitrate/..5.1 Audio Bitrate
1080p........ 50,000 kbps... 128 kbps.. 384 kbps.. 512 kbps
720p......... 30,000 kbps... 128 kbps.. 384 kbps.. 512 kbps
480p......... 15,000 kbps... 128 kbps.. 384 kbps.. 512 kbps
360p......... 5,000 kbps..... 128 kbps.. 384 kbps.. 512 kbps

Resolutions

YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:

2160p: 3840x2160
1440p: 2560x1440
1080p: 1920x1080
720p: 1280x720
480p: 854x480
360p: 640x360
240p: 426x240

The YouTube player automatically adds black bars so that videos are displayed correctly without cropping or stretching, no matter the size of the video or the player.
Anamorphic videos will be automatically letterboxed when shown in either 16:9 or 4:3 sized players. The player can only do this if the native aspect ratio of the video is maintained.