This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Not able to change Language

KimLynge

Mon May 26, 2014 4:00:28 pm

Finally I found a good looking Linux distro, Zorin OS 8.1 64-bit, and I was able to install without any errors :P
But after computer restart, the Keyboard layout was english (during installation it was danish, so was my password), :( so when trying to install additional languages, a message came up telling me that I'm not connected to the internet. The error was something else: the paths to the repository in ubuntu ftp server are wrong or outdated. They point to some non-existing files on http://91.189.92.200/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-locale-da_27.xxxxxxxxx and http://91.189.92.200/ubuntu/pool/main/t/thunderbird/thunderbird-locale-da-23.xxxxxxxx.
To be sure of the problem I also tested with norwegian language, but with same error, just other filenames - of course.
Lastly I wanted to change the internet browser from Chrome to Firefox, but again the error report showed filenames in the ubuntu ftp site that was not existing.
How do I then change or install language or apps? Anyone have a trick, not too linux'ed (I'm just a beginner here).
I do not have the Zorin OS on my Computer for now, had to install Kubuntu to use it in danish. But as soon as I hear the Zorin is working again, I'm ready to give it another try.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 4:57:42 pm

I think it still has to be English at point of install, after which, do a full update by opening a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then reboot.

If all goes well after reboot - follow Wolfman's guide on Language settings here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699&p=5927#p5927

Also change location of Update Settings to 'Main Server' and make sure that 'update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'.

KimLynge

Mon May 26, 2014 8:17:53 pm

Well, the Language was english during installation, only the keyboard layout was danish :mrgreen: which of course it had to be, otherwise strong passwords are very hard to create.
But I think I had chosen the installation to update files during the process, and that wasn't a good choice :oops: so this time I installed the way you described - and that worked! :P :P :P
So, thanx for the guidance, seeing foreward to use my new Zorin PC..!

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 11:22:42 pm

Glad that we could help friend! :D

Will mark as [SOLVED] and split 120 blue jewels between myself and Wolfman - ok 120 to Wolfman as he wrote the guide! :D