This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install a jar

Anonymous

Wed May 28, 2014 2:19:34 pm

Just goes on and on. There is absolutely no possibility that Linux will be used by normal users as every day hours have to be spent trying to do the simplest things like downloading a simple sudoku game. Which appears as a Jar.
The download center will not download Java runtime 7 as there is something wrong with it. Its their download center why is there something wrong with it. I have managed to get runtime six which has the same coffee cup on it as the jar I have downloaded. No decent help anywhere except if you are a complete Geek. I don't suppose anyone will assist me but I am in Zorin 6.4 core and want to know how to install a simple game in a jar . Tried all sorts of things but of course when they say right click and open the terminal there that does not work in the Zorin take on Ubuntu. In fact if you put Zorin into any search there are thousands of people telling you how to download Zorin. Very helpful. Can these people not see that this has been covered ad infinitum but there is absolutely no help there for ordinary non geek people who just love Linux but most of whom are bound to become frustrated and return to microsoft so they can actually get on with some work. Sorry to rant as both Swarf and Wolf have been very tollerant of me. Can the powers that be not see that thousands of people would turn to Linux if they would produce just 1 long term distro that actually worked straight out of the box with an instruction manual that says to install a jar do this this and this.

Anonymous

Wed May 28, 2014 3:45:43 pm

After hours and hours I have finally discovered how to do this. After reading lashings and lashings of type this into the terminal aqnd type that into the terminal none of which worked as the terminal refused to understand any of them. It is as simple as right click on the file open with runtime 6. Awful game after all that but at least I know what to do next time.

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 6:12:22 am

Hi,

if you are having problems with packaging managers, please take a look here and maybe try changing your software sources download location:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247