This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] zorin label disapeared

keithterrill

Wed May 28, 2014 7:23:38 pm

I installed Zorin OS 6.4 Core. I then did an update and upgrade. After, rebooting the Zorin icon for the "start menu" in the lower left corner was replaced with a UBUNTU icon. The grub startup menu does not list Zorin at all, but instead lists UBUNTU.

What happened?

Thank you

Keith L Terrill

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 10:44:12 pm

I suspect that your update manager/software updater settings have 'update to latest Ubuntu release' has not been altered to 'Never' - you could have a broken install if this is the case. If update to latest ubuntu is set to 'Never' then right-cllick the 'ubuntu' logo of the menu and select 'Preferences' - then go to 'Preferences' tab and check mark - use distributor logo to get the 'Z' back.

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 6:05:20 am

Hi,

see the post install guide and this section "More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)":

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2054

Also check your software sources settings per this guide:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247

Also note that where it states: "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" is set to "Never". The reason is because if you allow it to update to any version of Ubuntu, you will most likely lose all your current settings and themes as a complete system update this way leads to the newest version of Ubuntu being installed!!.

keithterrill

Thu May 29, 2014 8:52:20 pm

see the post install guide and this section "More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)":

I read and followed this guide. This is how I ended up with the Zorin icon missing.

I suspect that your update manager/software updater settings have 'update to latest Ubuntu release' has not been altered to 'Never'

I checked, and it is set to "Never".

I just had another update since posting. The Zorin icon returned for the Administrator account, but not for the user account.

keithterrill

Thu May 29, 2014 8:59:44 pm

I suspect that your update manager/software updater settings have 'update to latest Ubuntu release' has not been altered to 'Never' - you could have a broken install if this is the case. If update to latest ubuntu is set to 'Never' then right-cllick the 'ubuntu' logo of the menu and select 'Preferences' - then go to 'Preferences' tab and check mark - use distributor logo to get the 'Z' back.

So, I checked and the Use distributor logo instead of button theme was Checked (with a check mark, just to be clear). I unchecked it, rebooted the menu, the icon "crashed", I clicked on it to restart... and the Z appeared.

I went back in to the preferences and checked the Use distributor logo.... I rebooted the menu, the icon "crashed" again, I clicked on it to restart... and the Ubuntu icon appeared.

So, I once again went back to the preferences and unchecked the Use distributor logo... etc. and the Z is now back.

thank-you

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:30:57 pm

Hi, glad you are sorted! Will mark as [SOLVED]! :D