This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot access internet

jbotterell

Wed May 28, 2014 10:03:33 pm

Zorin OS 8 Ultimate 64 bit. I ran 'Live' first and was able to get to the internet thru Chrome. I then installed Ultimate and no internet access at all. The network connections are filled in and correct. I can even see my Windows 7 computers but cannot get to internet. I am completely new to Linux so please do not ask me to do any command line entries. I am open and appreciative of any help that I am given, even if it suggests that I reinstall Ultimate.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 10:45:45 pm

Hi, could we rewind a little please? and in this instance, also provide details of what wireless chipset is in place! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

jbotterell

Thu May 29, 2014 12:59:49 am

It is a Dell Precision M6500 with a Dell Wireless 1501 802.11g 1x1Mini-Card. The Wireless is turned off and am using the Ethernet connection only. It worked perfectly in the 'Live' run off of the DVD but not the install.

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 6:01:20 am

Hi,

open a terminal using Ctrl + Alt + t (with an active network connection) and run this command and then restart and see if your WiFI is working again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

It may just be a case of missing dependencies!.

See also:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247

jbotterell

Thu May 29, 2014 9:39:41 pm

SOLVED .. When I log on with ID and PW, Zorin logs me in as a 'Guest' .. don't know why. I bit the bullet and reinstalled Zorin 8 Ultimate, this time, I selected automatic login and presto, I can see my name on the lower right corner instead of 'Guest'. I can go onto the internet and can download the ton of Zorin's updates. Thanks to all who responded, it is appreciated. I will change back to normal login when Zorin fixes the bug.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:33:33 pm

Hi, had we know the bit about the 'Guest' Account you would not have needed to reinstall! ;)

All you need do is use the up and down cursor keys to move between guest and your account for first login - after that it will always boot to your user login instead of guest! ;)