This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Simple vpn for surfing only

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 6:01:36 am

Is there a vpn that a layman can install in Zorin 6.4 core in less than a week. I resorted to windows this morning
where I have tunnelbear for free. I have openvpn unzipped but can not work out how to install it. I just want to surf securely and do not want to network to other computers. Again a very simple thing which even I can do in windows but in Linux! Any help would be very much appreciated. I have spent a lot of time typing in the different commands from each solution to the problem but so far , no luck.

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 6:09:59 am

Hi,

I don't do it but I found this and it looks simple enough!:

http://www.vpnbook.com/howto/setup-openvpn-on-ubuntu

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 10:19:54 am

It may seem simple to you, but to me it is almost unintelligable. The first thing it wants me to do is spend money on cloud storage I have no money and would have bought a windows os by now if I had as do most people. In windows I just download tunnelbear and turn it on. People actually say Linux is easier. Where does that come from? Thank you for trying to help but in this instance I think I am going to have to rely on windows. We are under military dictatorship here and they are blocking the internet. I have openvpn downloaded how do I install it? I know it is not your problem but surely if Linux is so wonderful someone can explain to a reasonably educated person how to set up a simple vpn. It takes less than 20 minutes in windows. I have spent at least 5 hours trying to fathom it out in Linux.

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 10:22:59 am

I thought I should add that not being a geek does not make me or thousands of other people stupid.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:56:11 am

I will need to post back later as a site I wanted to check out is blocked! ;)

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 12:36:20 pm

Made me smile anyway.

Anonymous

Thu May 29, 2014 1:56:45 pm

But it did not help particularly as Iam not joking about the afore mentioned situation in Thailand.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:25:17 pm

Some more to look at:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-13-10/

I could be wrong but this might be what you are looking for:

https://getsetupfile.com/downloads/sstp ... ntu-13-04/

;)

Keep us posted! (If you can! ;) )

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 4:59:18 am

Hello wolf and Swarf,
Thank you both for your input. I can not afford to pay for anything. I am on a tiny pension.
I actually got vpnbook working and was able to access one of the blocked sites.I used a combination of the site offered by Wolf and one other that filled in the bits I did not understand. I could as usual not find where vpnbook was and the next time I started up I was back to square 1 with no vpn. The terminal would not repeat what it had previously done giving me the usual unintelligable reason that it could not do something that ten minutes earlier it had been able to do. I will continue to try however but am using windows in the mean time to access blocked sites. Thanks again.

Wolfman

Fri May 30, 2014 8:11:53 am

Hi,

you said that the site I linked you to wanted you to set up a cloud account, what were you clicking on as I cannot find that?.

download one of the 4 files offered here:

http://www.vpnbook.com/freevpn

Right click and extract to a location of your choice.

Install the package "openvpn" with the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install openvpn

Then it says to use this command but I don't think it will work as it doesn't have "sudo" in front of it!:

Code:
openvpn --config vpnbook-euro1-tcp443.ovpn

Try this if that one doesn't work:

Code:
sudo openvpn --config vpnbook-euro1-tcp443.ovpn

Does the above command have to be run every time you want to use VPN????????.

What the relationship to the downloaded certificate bundle file and the other commands is a mystery to me as I have never done this myself either!.

I have just written this in steps as you said you had it working but I just wanted to see if this might help you or someone else!.

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 10:33:15 am

Hello Wolfman.
Yes this is the one I used only i downloaded the UK one which is only for surfing and it was working fine. Not very convenient though if I have to go back each time and do it again. Also as I said the terminal would not actually do it again anyway.
Swarfendor suggested something that was a trial for 30 days and then payment was required. I will remove everything and start again from scratch this evening and see if I can get it up and running again. I will let you know what happens.

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 1:26:37 pm

Hello Wolfman,
I cleaned everything out and reloaded and got as far as your command sudo openvpn --config vpnbook-euro1-tcp443.ovpn it did not like that so I went back to the other video I used and just said sudo openvpn vpnbook-uk1-tcp443.opn this caused it to do whatever it does and at this point in time I am invisible and it opened a UK newspaper site which has been blocked by the Junta. The terminal has not signed off however and is telling me
Initialization sequence completed but it usually gives my name and that dollar sign thingy when it is ok for me to turn it off. Any ideas. I will go away and see if I can learn anything about it but look forward to your more knowledgeable ideas.

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 1:37:53 pm

Wolfman I found this which may mean more to you than it does to me

that is normal - the connection is established, the VPN should be operation; the vpn process does not daemonize itself (== run in the background) unless you also specify
Code:
log-append /var/log/openvpn.log
daemon
It is actually running in the background now but if I were to log off and restart the computer I would have to go through the while mularky again to get it to run. Look forward to hearing what it means.

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 2:40:52 pm

Wolfman ,
Although the vpn is definitely running , it asks me if I want to switch from google thailand to google uk and it opens blocked sites in network configuration it says it is not running and will not allow me to turn it on although it is already on. I tried putting the daemonizing line in but there is no point after getting to initialization sequence completed . Presumably this command should be used earlier? the terminal only closes down when you log out closing the vpn at the same time. There must be a command required before to make it permanently on. I have it on auomatic in configuration window.

Anonymous

Sat May 31, 2014 6:33:14 am

Does this look as if it would start the vpn on boot?

start_openvpn.sh:
#!/bin/bash
ldconfig -Rm /mnt/ZFS1/bin/openvpn/lib
ldconfig -Rm /mnt/ZFS1/bin/openssl/lib
/mnt/ZFS1/bin/openvpn/sbin/openvpn --config /mnt/ZFS1/bin/openvpn/openvpn.conf --daemon

I really would like to be able to turn it on and off as I wish.

Wolfman

Sat May 31, 2014 6:47:49 am

Hi,

yes it does look like a load command, maybe you can try adding it to startupup applications but it won't switch it off and on at will as it will only start the app and not stop it!.

I did find this addon for Firefox which might help:

http://www.proxy-offline-browser.com/ProxySwitch/

Anonymous

Sat May 31, 2014 11:40:01 am

Thank you Wolfman for that.
You talk to me as if I understand what i am doing which I am afraid is not the case. I will persevere and let you know if I have any success.

Anonymous

Sat May 31, 2014 11:42:20 am

I forgot to say that I decdided not to fall back on windows and use the vpn in Linux. Another problem Firefox will not load shockwave in vpn mode. I tried Opera with the same result.

Wolfman

Sat May 31, 2014 1:26:26 pm

Hi,

that link I posted about the switcher is an "Addon" for Firefox, simply open Firefox > Tools > Addons and search for "vpn" and a list of options for you to install will open, that switcher app is one of them!.

I cannot comment about shockwave flash not working in VM mode as I have told you before, I simply don't do it sorry!.

Anonymous

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:08:16 am

Thanks for information on proxy gadget for firefox. I am no further forward with openvpn/vpnbook and can only think that network manager does not actually work. Since time immemorial in Ubuntu people have been complaining of this problem. Might as well close this as I am getting nowhere. I just use the terminal. Not very convenient but you get what you pay for! I have paid for nothing. Thank you both very much for your help.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:27:39 am

Anonymous

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:53:44 am

Thank you wolfman. Please do not waste any more of your time on my behalf. I submit. I am not giving up but on this issue it appears that there has been a longstanding problem with network manager and vpn. That American Spat has got it working with a paid vpn so that it switches on and off using the network manager applet. Mine tries to connect but times out every time. Through the terminal it connects instantly every time. I have tried every possible combination of scenarios in the network manager vpn configuration still without luck. Never mind just another thing I can't do in Linux. Thanks again for your continued help but please waste no more time.

Anonymous

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:39:57 am

Tor Browser might be your best bet friend.
These type things are up my alley.

If you need help...give me a buzz via [ PM ]
I'll be glad to help ya get started or an alternative !!!!

Link : https://www.torproject.org/