This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Uninstalling Zorin Os8

rogeredrabbit

Sat May 31, 2014 6:21:24 pm

Hi Guys,
I was giving my laptop to my sister but she isnt comfortable with linux so i uninstalled Zorin as per the instructions on your website. However, on next start the computer says:
error: no such partition
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I tried booting with both Zorin and Windows 7 live dvd's and it's booting up with neither. I've checked BIOS setting and it's set to boot with cd/dvd drive but it keeps coming back to the same message.

Please help.

Many Thanks in advance.

Wolfman

Sat May 31, 2014 7:29:03 pm

Hi,

you need to fix the master boot record, see the partition guide and the bit that wil help you about repairing the MBR:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

It is at the end of "Part 2"!.

rogeredrabbit

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:40:46 am

Hi Wolfman,

FIrst of all, thanks for your prompt reply. I did go to the post and created the boot repair disk which got the press any key to load on my comp. Then it said i should load my Windows dvd. And when i do it still says partition does not exist and goes back to grub rescue.

I'm a little stranded here and would appreciate it you could tell me any way to get out of it.

Many Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00:16 pm

Hi you should use the advanced settings and choose the 'dos' icon at the bottom. Then navigate to C: where your Windows is and enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

but PLEASE wait til I get back home to make sure I have not made any typos! :D

[EDITED: changed 'fixmbr' to 'FixMbr' - and this worked when removing Pear 7 from eldest's machine as Windows 7 was running out of space - sorted! :D ]