This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding a Gnome extension

joejohnston3

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46:24 am

Hi All,

One of my favorite features before I switched from Cinnamon to Zorin was the Audio Output Switcher. I was told on the Pinguy forum that it is an extension that is added to Gnome and I was wondering if it was something I could add to Zorin. Here is the reply from Pinguy in full and I am hoping to get some input from the Zorin forum:

It's a Gnome extension.

Audio Output Switcher

Here is a list of all used extension.
AppIndicator Support
Better Volume Indicator
Coverflow Alt-Tab
Frippery Move Clock
Gno-Menu
ignore_request_hide_titlebar
Insensitive Message Tray
Media player indicator
Panel OSD
TopIcons
User Themes

Gnome is designed to be extensible with extensions. If there is a feature you are after there is normally an extension for it. You have to remember the first version of Mint that didn't use Gnome 2.3 used Gnome Shell with MGSE. What was basically Gnome Shell extensions that Mint renamed.

Thank you.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:58:02 am

Hi,

it is part of the "gnome-shell-extensions" package I believe and as such; won't work in Zorin unless you switch to a Gnome 3 desktop which would mean basically removing Zorin's base desktop in favour of Gnome??????????.

The nearest thing you could use that I can think of is the "Pulse Audio Manager" (paman). :D

What exactly do you want to switch between?.

joejohnston3

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:34:32 pm

I have an internal sound card and a USB headset and switch a lot between them and it is a nuisance to go to System Settings every time to switch between them.

I appreciate the input and glad to have an answer. Thank you.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:51:10 am

Hi,

I have to switch between normal and HDMI audio and use "paman" no problem!.

You can use the PulseAudio Volume Control to change your input/output source etc:

Volume Control_005.jpg

joejohnston3

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25:47 pm

What I do not understand is that Zorin is listed as a Gnome DE but why can't I add the Gnome Extension Audio Output Switcher, which would let me have the best of everything? Is it because Zorin is a tweaked Gnome shell that does not allow adding an extension?