This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Moving AWN bar to the left side?

HighlandPirate

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:49:46 pm

I really like the look of Zorin OS and think it could do well to replace my install of Xubuntu. My only issue is that I can't (in the core version at least) figure out how to move the AWN bar over to the left side without breaking all of the Zorin plugins on the bar. The application icons seem to not like being oriented in a vertical manner as well as the notification, wireless, etc icons at the other end of the bar wont seem to change to a vertical orientation.

Is there something in the Zorin setting that I am missing when it comes to moving the AWN bar to the left side?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:12:05 pm

Hi, to move to the left, just right-click the AWN Panel and click on Dock Preferences, then on the first tab that opens up change from bottom to right or left.

If you want to get rid of indicator applet 3, install GnoMenu separately and use that in the AWN Panel instead - you should also be able to install notification area to replace indicator applet 3, :D

HighlandPirate

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:10:23 am

Thanks for your help, I am able to move the AWN bar over to the left as you recommended. I will also look into that alternative notification indicator GnoMenu. Also, for future reference, are there setting for AWN applets so that you can configure their individual functionality? I looked around both by right-clicking on the notification area on the AWN bar and by looking through the AWN settings app and couldn't find how to configure applets.

When you orient the AWN bar on the left the DockBarX icons take up a lot more space than they do in the horizontal position, is there any way to adjust the size of those icons?

Wolfman

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:33:16 am

Hi,

check out the post install guide and scroll down to this section "More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

There are several tips for AWN!. :D

For icon size: Right click panel > Preferences > Preferences > Size of icons