This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Java does not work

dat_sylveon

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:06:24 pm

Hello. Its me again, with another question :P

Java does not work, even though I am 100% sure it is installed. The runtime doesnt work, neither does Icedtea - it doesnt even appear in chrome://plugins. I installed both of them...thrice. No answers on similar questions on askUbuntu worked, they all just said to install IcedTea and cut it off. One answerer said he used all sorts of pointless subcommands of apt-get, which obviously wasnt going to help. I did not bother to try since he said to install IcedTea too, which I already did.

So, how do I get Java working?

Wolfman

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55:40 am

Hi,

you should have open JRE installed?, install via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) with the following command.

Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

Try that and see if it helps!. :D

dat_sylveon

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:16:08 pm

I have JRE installed. Still doesnt work =/

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03:46 pm

dat_sylveon

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:29:21 pm

The runtime works now, and the browser plugin works now as well. However, theres one more thing. It works in firefox, but not in chrome. I rather use Chrome as my default browser, but I can live with Firefox. However, I still would rather have it working in Chrome as well.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03:01 pm

dat_sylveon

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Check this out:

http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2010/ti ... for-linux/

and this:

http://technonstop.com/install-java-plugin-ubuntu-linux

Since the article seemed to be outdated, I revised the instructions a bit to make it reflect my Java installation. The only thing I revised was that he instructed me to make a symbolic link to some library in "/opt/java/" and I revised that to make a symbolic link to the same URL, other than that it was under "/usr/java/" instead of "/opt/java/". I just realized(so "just", in fact, I realized while writing this post XD) that this might actually be the problem, my Java is installed under /usr instead of /opt. Not sure if that matters at all, but maybe.

dat_sylveon

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:48:36 pm

bump

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56:10 pm

Hi, bumping won't get it solved any quicker - I am no java expert - that is why I posted links on what I thought may be the issues. Sorry! ;)