This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] File manager change crashed desktop

Acer DeVille

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10:44 am

Earlier today I tracked down a couple of ways to change the default file manager in Ubuntu 13.10, the first two I tried didn't work, Nautilus kept opening instead. Then I found a cli, I copied and pasted it into a terminal, and hit enter. Finally I had managed to get Krusader to open as default when clicking a file, or inserting a usb drive. So I worked a little while, and then had to reboot into Windows for a few minutes, when rebooting into Zorin, my desktop is crashed. I have a black background, no icons, and right clicking on the desktop has no effect, the menu doesn't open when right clicking.

I have tried to find the page I got the cli from but I'm not having any luck. I have tried several of the remedies that I have found relating to file manager crashing the desktop, none of them work. I have been unable to find anything that corrects the issue. I wish I could find the cli, I would try swapping "nautilus" and "krusader", to see if that worked. Can anyone give me any hints?

Wolfman

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07:54 am

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and start "Network" (network cable required) and then go to "root", type the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let it do its thing and then type:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove krusader

Restart using Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Let us know if that helps!.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10:01 pm

Followed your directions to the letter, with no luck. I then opened Synaptic and searched for "desktop", and went through the list and reinstall more than a few that are directly related to the desktop, and drawing it. While marking them, I had several examples in mind of what I did and didn't mark, but have since forgotten what they were. When restarting my desktop was back, however the three little boxes at the top right (minimize, maximize, and close), are missing from everything except Chrome. I have tried checking all the theme settings to make sure nothing got changed, and went through gconf settings, and still haven't made any more progress. I can survive without those three boxes, but it would be nice to have them.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45:20 pm

Hi, Not in Zorin at present - have you checked all the settings in 'Tweak Tool' in Preferences? You may also want to install 'Ubuntu-Tweak' which also has additional themes - try changing them to something else then back again - for example in Tweak Tool that is already present see if they come back by swapping to Zorin Dark then back to Zorin Light themes. ;)

Acer DeVille

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41:08 pm

I finally found some instructions to delete all .config etc... files, which finally restored everything back to stock. So this can be marked as solved. Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30:33 pm

Hi glad you got sorted! :D