This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Failed to download messages?

Anonymous

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43:49 am

Hi

What is this? It appears every time when starting Zorin os. and also repeatedly after that, afters some period of time. If I try to download, it opens the terminal and wants to have authentication. When I give it, terminal closes and nothing hapends after that.

unable to download.png

An other additional message has appeared also now and then telling "System program problem detected" asking whether I want to report of it. All software should be up to date and everything working, but I just want to get rid of these repeatedly appearing problem messages if there isn't any problem?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:45:53 am

Hi, it appears that you recently tried to install something and it has gone awry. Try opening synaptic package manager in Administration and select 'Fix Broken Packages' - if you knew what the most recent download was relating to that flash plugin - 'purge' it:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge [name of package]

Anonymous

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:33:19 pm

Hi

That "Fix Broken Packages" seems to cancel the problem messages to appear. Not seen after doing that. However there is something with the " Software Center" application still. I tried to install "Kdenlive" editor there, but it did not first download the packages. "Check your internet connection"! I made a re-install of "Software center" packages using Synaptic again. Then I tried to change the download server. The test gave me as the "best server" alternative some from Denmark. It did not work at all. It did not even show the "install" option in the window, only "more info". So I changed back to "Main server" as source. Then I got it installed, however it took unexpectedly long time to install.

Anonymous

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:05:09 am

Hi

It was little too early to say that it fixed the message appearance problems yesterday. It plopped up again to day. Everything seems to be ok. with updates and "fixes". However it gives still these messages and some unexpected sw crashes or working shortages happends, like this Software Center case. Regarding the SC, there might also be some other reasons than my os. sw that it is not working all the time correctly. Sometimes it reports that it could not find some packages and needs many tries to get installed. I feel that there is now more this kind of inconveniences than before. How long the support from SC is available for Zorin 8.(Ubuntu 13.10) , is there an expire date ?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:25:05 am

There won't be an 'expiry date' as such - you just won't get any more security dates to the kernel and other apps once expiry date comes along - hopefully 9 will be out before that happens! ;)

Anonymous

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:49:07 am

Regarding the upgrading to 9. How it works. I have both 8 Core and Ultimate distros installed. I believe that I have to make a new donation if I continue to keep the Ultimate. I upgraded the Ubuntu 13.04 to 14.04 already just "on line" but how it is done in Zorin? I remember that Zorin requires a new installation? Do I remember correct or is it only in case of Ultimate?

I have now 2 Core full installations on USB drives that I use in my desktop. Both on 16 Gb drives. These are slightly too little so I suppose that I have to replace them with 32 Gb drives to get more space there. So I make a new installation to new USBs any case when 9 is available. Ultimate is on my laptop dual booted with Ubuntu and both are installed on the 320 Gb HDD there.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:43:42 pm

See Wolfman's guide and scroll down to:

"Upgrading your installed system"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

If you go to the bottom of this thread you will see my uploaded 'hyperlinked' docs and pdfs that work (hyperlink wise!) :D

Anonymous

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58:39 am

Hi

Still back to "failure" messages. Anything did not change related to appearing messages with using "updates" or "fixing the broken packages". It is not only in one os. Both my laptop's Ultimate and desktop's Core have same failure message issues. In the os.es there have also been more stability problems now. Applications crashes and gives these "system program problem detected" messages more often, or it just pops up the problem message without any obvious reason. Also some application crashes messes up something on the screen's windows themes or some AWN apps disappears to be re-booted or re-installed. I do not detect any specific sw installation that could be the reason for this. Preferably I believe that some updates have not been good for the os- stability due to both installations behaves same way. Any further ideas how to fix this or should I only wait for the Zorin 9? I feel somehow insecure now to use the Zorin 8 ? :?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43:31 am

Based on your earlier posts it appears after you attempted to install something that the install has become unstable. If dpkg followed by a reboot has not solved the situation or:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f
has not worked, all I can suggest is a reinstall - did you try installing the same package that created the issue earlier - the one you posted above with flash plug-in?

Anonymous

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:01:00 pm

The "Failed to download...." message is an older thing. It is not related to any sw I have installed recently. But this message of the "system program problem" may be in connection to some installed sw now. It is a new phenomenon and peculiar that it appears just when opening the computer before actually doing anything yet.

system problem.png

What I have installed is the additional video players and video editors. The problem report is not in connection to use these softwares. I can try to update still and remove and re-install some of these softwares to see whether there is any changes. I will make the whole os. install first when Zorin 9 is released. Hope that all problems disappear then, however there might come some new replacements :lol:

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:54:53 pm

OK to find out what it is you need to click on 'report problem' you will be asked for your pasword - when the next screen comes up, just click on details and take a screenshot of that without actually reporting and close the message down. :D

Anonymous

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:22:05 pm

Thanks for suggestion but can not be done. When I give the password for authentication so the window just closes. Same as with the "Failure to download...." message but there it opens first the terminal.

But this opens and gives some more information.

Failure.png

According to this it seems to be some kernel issue ? I re-booted to the next older kernel version and it did not give any error messages at the start as usual before, so I believe that it works now better.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:37:37 pm

Based on your last screenshot, take a look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/279584/s ... me-failure

Anonymous

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56:18 pm

Good, this WIFI start is a known issue. It can not be fixed but I can live with that, not being so severe problem. I had also same type problem report in my desktop but was not the same failure. I did not get out a good report there. It only spinned the waiting wheel but referred in the first line to xorg. I did not get any clarity to that what a problem that might be.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50:32 pm

xorg relates to your video (graphics card) driver issues - I can only suspect that when you were playing around with those video apps something went awry. Alternatively, what graphics card is in the desktop? And did you install proprietary drivers or did you stick with the nouveau GNU/Linux experimental drivers?

Anonymous

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:37:09 am

In this installation I have the original driver:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G86 [GeForce 8500 GT]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:df000000-dfffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:dc000000-ddffffff ioport:ec00(size=128) memory:defe0000-deffffff

I have an other installation where I have changed to the proprietary one (nvidia - current) so I can now test both. I can also check if it is the right nvidia driver when I start with it. I know there is the long list of nvidia cards and applicable drivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After starting the other installation I took this screenshot;

Nvidia driver.png

Here it seems to be the right one driver. The "failure to download........." popped up again here when I started the os. So that is still some mystery where it comes. There seems not to be correlation to anything, only common there is that it is Zorin 8 os.

There is also these kind of peculiarities that it requires to list hw as superuser but does not work, Crashes and launches failure reports. In my laptop it works ok. Works even here when not typing "sudo", gives only warning there. :lol:

crashes.png

Not so bad, Compiz Cube and iStart works and that is nice. It is my new wallpaper here! :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43:27 am

Hi, Wolfman posted a useful post on how to disable 'apport' - error reporting application to prevent continuous pop-ups, but I see there is still a broken install with that flash-plugin - if you do a search for broken packages, see what comes up.

Wolfman's post install guide tells you how to disable apport:

viewtopic.php?f=0&t=2054&p=8048&hilit=how+to+disable+apport#p8048

Anonymous

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:16:26 pm

There is not broken packages in my laptop but I re-installed the "flashplugin installer" and lets see if it changes the popups to appear. I make that for the other systems also if it works. It may take some time to look if it is persistent. If not I look and apply the linked "how to disable apport" guide. Did you have any opinion why the terminal "lshw" did not work as it should? What was that error there?

Installing flasch.png

RE-installed now in my laptop and desktop.

This is the lshw crash report

lshw.png

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:47:18 am

You could always experiment with Lintian :D

http://lintian.debian.org/

It's what the maintainer of Ultimate Edition ('Thee Mahn') uses! :D

Anonymous

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34:34 pm

What I could read from this lintian report, the trend of errors and warnings are increasing still slightly. What however happend in january was that errors took a big step up :o 3 to 4 times more than during last year. So I suppose that the next release won't be performing much better. :(

I believe that all the problem report generating "bugs" are now known issues and further actions are not needed. There are those "WIFI wakeup", "sudo lshw" and "Failure to download extra data files" bugs that still generates the reports. The "failure to download...." seems also to be a bug due to I re-installed the "flashplugin-installer" and it downloaded it just without any problem. However it will still launch a update info window. It is best to wait the new release to make a new installation and see whether these bugs are corrected to that.

I downloaded the Lintian from that link and tried to install it but did not manage to get it in Synaptic for installation. There seems to be however some version installed and I made a re-installation to get it to be available in the menu but did not get it there. "Search" did not recognize that software by name at all, so I am stacked now, I did not get further to test the packages with that software. How to get it correctly installed and working?

lintian.png

Here it seems to be installed ?

Synaptic.png

But can not find it here

search lin.jpg