This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Virtual Keyboard not Available at Login Screen

thesavant

Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:01:03 am

I'm using Zorin 6 LTS as the sole OS on my Acer Iconia w500 tablet. I'm very pleased with how tablet friendly Zorin is, but I find myself unable to log in with the virtual keyboard at the login screen. I have installed the Onboard virtual keyboard and have checked the setting that is supposed to allow it to show up in the login area. This has not worked. I see that there is a "Universal Access" button in the upper right corner of the login screen, but it doesn't have the virtual keyboard available in it. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:16:05 pm

Hi, first off start with this page and follow the appropriate links as you read through them and let us know if it resolves the issue (I am aware that this was for an earlier version of Ubuntu but hopefully the guides will work:

http://cmwelsh.com/enable-on-screen-key ... lucid-lynx

Keep us posted!

And welcome to Zorin by the way! :D

thesavant

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:52:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, first off start with this page and follow the appropriate links as you read through them and let us know if it resolves the issue (I am aware that this was for an earlier version of Ubuntu but hopefully the guides will work:

http://cmwelsh.com/enable-on-screen-key ... lucid-lynx

Keep us posted!

And welcome to Zorin by the way! :D

Thanks for the assistance, but I tried that and it didn't work. The guide required that I go to the "Universal Access Preferences" window, but I don't see such a window available to me in Zorin 8 Lite. BTW... I have Zorin 8 Lite and not Zorin 6 LTS. (Maybe they're the same. I don't know.) Thanks for the welcome to Zorin.

thesavant

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:57:13 pm

Until I can figure out how to get a keyboard on the lock screen my current strategy is to just avoid the lock screen all together. During my Zorin installation I set my session to automatically log in when powering on and I recently used xfce4-power-manager to disable going to the lock screen during standby, suspension, or hibernation.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:26:05 pm

Apologies, I thought you were using Core - I will see what I can do in a VM when I can! ;)