This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Blank screen upon booting up? (Zorin 8)

ZDuncan

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:13:27 pm

I've installed Zorin 8. All appears to be fine until I get to the first login screen where my username is displayed and I'm prompted to enter my password. This screen displays for approximately 2 seconds before disappearing, leaving a blank white screen with only the mouse cursor to see. It responds to moving the mouse but there is nothing to click on, and pressing the keys achieves nothing.

Any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:28:11 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Can you advise please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Also is this the only OS or a dual boot? What Graphics card do you have?

ZDuncan

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:55:01 am

1. Name (Brand) of Computer Tower/System, Notebook Brand and model [Notebook = misnomer of 'Laptop' ;) ] DELL

2. Amount of available Memory (RAM) 1.5 GIG

3. Whether Zorin is the only OS on the computer or dual-boot (e.g. Windows [and which version of Windows!] and Zorin). ZORIN IS THE ONLY O/S

4. Hard Drive partitioning. NONE

5. Graphics card make and model, or Graphics chipset in respect of Notebooks. VGA COMPATIBLE CONTROLLER

6. Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless chipset.
PCI CARD: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])

7. Whether you ran Zorin Live first to check it worked before installing. YES

8. Which version of Zorin you have installed/have in mind to install. ZORIN 8 (SAUCY)
http://www.vimeo.com

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28:36 am

OK, I would be tempted first of all to try this:

1. When the GRUB menu loads, press the TAB key to amend the boot command line with:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off

and see if things improve.

2. If they don't then follow Wolfman's Post install guide, in particular about running DPKG for which you need a 'wired' connection.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054#p34743

ZDuncan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33:14 pm

All sorted now, thanks very much.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15:16 pm

HI, Glad you are sorted! Have marked as [SOLVED]! :D