This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems staying connected to internet using "green" switch

kengator

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:32:15 am

Hi all,

I was hoping that you networking techies can help me out on this one. This was an issue on Zorin 6, on Linux Mint when I dabbled with it, and now on Zorin 8. My desktop is connected to the internet via a wired ethernet connection through a "green" switch--a switch that saves electricity by going into some sort of standby mode on ports that are inactive. Obviously I'm not sure how this all works. Anyway, my linux desktop often loses its sync to the switch after it suspends and hence the internet. This isn't an issue when my zorin PC is connected directly to the modem, just when it's on the green switch.

Aside from the obvious answer of flinging the switch, does anyone have any suggestions on fixes? Worst case, is there a way to force zorin to reset the ethernet connection? As it stands right now, I have to unplug the ethernet connection, wait 10 secs, then re-connect. Even this is not always successful.

I wonder if there are any other users with this issue....

Thanks in advance.

kengator