This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Home page

Peter33

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:30:20 pm

My homepage has become Chrome since I imported it and my Zorin homepage is beneath it.
How do I make the home page when I boot from my pen drive and how do I get the Chrome icon from the desktop to the taskbar where all used to be?
Thank you
Peter

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:35:56 pm

To make changes to a USB booting OS you should have installed with 'persistence' so that things stay as they are after booting down. To get back to the task bar, right-click the panel and select 'create launcher' - do this after launching Chrome or wait for the icon to appear in the panel then see if 'pin to dock/panel' is available - (in Windows 7 as I write this so can't be so specific! :D )

Peter33

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:43:48 pm

I have Chrome straightened out. . I do have persistence on my 16 GB pen drive and it works great if I can only get the homepage I want. How do you change the homepage?
Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56:41 pm

I am not sure in Chrome but if memory serves me correctly there should be some cog on the top right - select 'under the hood' from the drop-down - I only know this as a result of messing with a derivative of Chrome some time ago, 'flock' - but I never used it for what it was built for - social networking. Once 'under the hood' search for 'home page' - if there is a 'house' on the menu bar, right-click and see if you can edit from there. Chrome is the first thing I get rid of after installing Zorin! ;)

Peter33

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:54:04 pm

I thought the setting for the homepage was Zorin not Chrome but I will try. May I ask what you replaced Chrome with? I am not a skilled Linux user so I need some windows type replacement as I cannot type sudo etc..
Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:58:05 pm

Hi, if you have problems with the terminal:

1. Install Firefox using the Web Browser Chooser under 'Internet' in the main Menu.

2. Download Opera 12.16 for Ubuntu from www.opera.com - any version after that is not worth the download - and you will need it if you ever need to upload screenshots to this forum - Firefox acts like Midori - no screenshot uploads are possilble! :(

Peter33

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05:08 pm

Thank you very much.