This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Error Installing Microsoft Office 2010

JonathanLeslie

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52:48 pm

Hello everyone, i'm very VERY new to this OS.

I choose Zorin because of the "you can install windows softwares using WINE" thing.

I tried installing from office 2010 dvd - i even have the licence ready (yes it is genuine)

while installing, about half way, it says "error during installing"

does anyone here have any idea why or successfully installed office 2010?

i really really need it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:10:11 pm

Hi, and welcome to Zorin! :D

Your best bet would be to download a trial of Codeweavers 'Cross-Over Office:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=7437

Codeweavers work for Wine.hq - the people who provide Wine so purchasing helps the continuation of the Wine project.

You need to be aware that Access and Publisher will not work if that is included in your version of Office 2010.

Hope this helps! :D

Please note that Cross-Over gives Office 2010 a Silver rating - that means that not all things may work within Office 2010 using Cross-Over.

JonathanLeslie

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:56:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and welcome to Zorin! :D

Your best bet would be to download a trial of Codeweavers 'Cross-Over Office:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=7437

Codeweavers work for Wine.hq - the people who provide Wine so purchasing helps the continuation of the Wine project.

You need to be aware that Access and Publisher will not work if that is included in your version of Office 2010.

Hope this helps! :D

Please note that Cross-Over gives Office 2010 a Silver rating - that means that not all things may work within Office 2010 using Cross-Over.

how long is the "trial" thing? do i need to buy it after a while? what abou winetricks? what does it do?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34:26 am

The trial lasts for 30 days - I don't know current pricing - they did have an offer one time where you entered 'cometothelight' after 'winedoors' project came to an end and you got 20% discount. You could also give PlayOnLinux a try. I am not an advanced user but winetricks basically is a 'tweak tool' a kind of 'winecfg' tweaker without a complex interface.
If anyone knows any different please help! :D

They used to offer two levels of pricing - standard and professional - standard allows just one user per machine.

madvinegar

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39:08 pm

Install it via Play On Linux. It works quite well. I have done it.
Ofcourse we are mainly talking about word, excel and powerpoint.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbdWJT48yo

Anonymous

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:29:07 pm

Hi

I have a good experience to use OpenOffice 3.2 (now Libre Office ) to make MS Office compatible Word documents (.doc) in co-operations with an other "editor" using Windows and MS Word. It was a 33 pages Word document, including pictures and tables, headers and footers boarders and graphics, also the vector graphic symbols in the OpenOffice Writer. It was 100% compatible. Only had to agree the page settings and used fonts to be the same that copy paste function worked without re-editing and to remember to keep the .doc format during the whole project when editing and saving the documents. Also other MS formats .xls and .ppt could be used to make Exel tables and Power Point presentations.

Here is a screenshot of that document to show its typical content made using Open Office Writer in .doc format (and MS Word). Also the pictures are made with Writer using its vector graphics. Can be done also using "Inkscape Vector Graphic" tool. Here the document is converted to .pdf format.

OpenOffice.png

madvinegar

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53:52 pm

For 99% compatability with ms office uou can also install kingsoft office.
It is the chinese replica of ms office... :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59:13 pm

Just to add if you are a user who needs to use the screen reader Orca on any version of GNU/Linux you will need to use LibreOffice as closed source applications such as Kingsoft and M$ Office will give zero output! ;)

JonathanLeslie

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:17:06 am

hi everyone, thanks for participating in this post,

i'm very new to this enviroment, so i'm not very familiar with the terms you all are using, but still on this topic, i was wondering, if there is something else that needs to be downloaded, i mean for example in windows, VLC is as good as the codecs we install - without it VLC won't be able to play properly, so I wonder if I need to download anything else for the installation to work

I'm asking this because even microsoft office 2007 wont work - it starts installing and stops half way and was even nice enough to give me the error notice for FREE ^__^

Anonymous

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09:52 am

Hi

I just want to highlight that Linux is not Windows, so Linux software should always be used in firsthand to be sure that it runs in Linux platform. Wine is a compatibility layer that can run many Windows applications, but not always completely. So I highly recommend that you look always first whether there is a application software to Linux that fulfills your needs before going to use a Windows software in Wine. However if LibreOffice does not fit to your needs and you want to install the MS Office instead, so look the "Play On Linux" application and the MS Office version there if it installs better.

I am not a "wine heavy user" but I have tried there the Windows style user interface and some application installations, just to know how it works. I feel that the user interface will be more messy if there is both Linux and Windows applications mixed to the Linux operating system. It will be more difficult to navigate and use due to there will be two kind of directory structures' naming according to the application software used. I did not like that at all.

Sorry if the terms used are wrong or unfamiliar. I don't use here my native language, so there might be the reason to some shortcomings in that, but I try my best.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40:48 am

JonathanLeslie wrote:hi everyone, thanks for participating in this post,

i'm very new to this enviroment, so i'm not very familiar with the terms you all are using, but still on this topic, i was wondering, if there is something else that needs to be downloaded, i mean for example in windows, VLC is as good as the codecs we install - without it VLC won't be able to play properly, so I wonder if I need to download anything else for the installation to work

I'm asking this because even microsoft office 2007 wont work - it starts installing and stops half way and was even nice enough to give me the error notice for FREE ^__^

I found similar issue trying to install Office 2007 - ironically I had no such issue installing (Office 2007) to Zorin 5 but that is now end of life! ;)

JonathanLeslie

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:35:26 am

thanks everyone,

i really did tried libre but i just couldn't get that right feel.. it still doesn't have that wow factor compared to microsoft, i think its the easy to use thing that makes me attach to it, 2nd its because most of my friends and colleague still use microsoft, so when ever i open it up in libre, 2 or 3 sometimes 5 things tend to dissapear (the format thing)

I'm still trying to get microsoft to work, say Swarfendor437 do you think it will work in zorin 6?

thanks everyone for your support, and please do keep me updated on how to install microsoft offfice in zorin 8

psss,, : the only windows program i successfully installed was the game "yu gi oh " hahah..

Anonymous

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50:19 am

Hi
Unfortunately I can't give any other help to install MS Office than saying that try to install it from "Play On Linux". I have not installed it in Linux and not to my Windows 7 either, due to I can do all I need with Libre Office. So I have not any experience there. I have had reasonable level wow what I can do with Libre Office applications. If I share something by Email or via net, so I make it to MS formats or I convert it to a .pdf file so there is not any format compatibility issues.

I know that there are better applications for Windows than what is available for Linux in some areas or that people just wants to use familiar Windows sw . If I need such sw urgently and bay for it, so I preferably install these to Windows than to Linux so that these applications runs properly on the right platform there.

I hope that Swarf recovers back to life and can give better support than I how to get Windows applications installed and running in Linux :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09:30 pm

In the meantime, you could try Kingsoft Office - just search this forum for threads with Kingsoft Office using Search option - you get a ribbon just like MS Office 2007 and if you don't like that (like me) just click on the t-shirt icon in the ribbon, close the app, open the app and it is Office 2003 all over again! ;)

Will see if I get any success with 6 but finding the time! :o

Anonymous

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:19:50 am

Hi

Did you try to install MS Office from Play On Linux or only from your DVD? I looked that in Play On Linux (I did not however install), there is available all 2000 to 2010 versions to install. It seems to be however that all components of MS Office are not possible to run in Linux with wine. Mainly Word, Exell and Power Point are working and additionally some more components depending on the version. Before installing anything it installs the MS fonts to Linux. Don't know whether that is the reason to failing installation from DVD if the fonts are not pre-installed ?

Play On Lin.png

One thing should be considered when installing Windows software to Linux, it is not supported there like in Windows, even if it is genuine. It should be installed into a genuine Windows os. that is still supported by Microsoft (Vista, 7 or 8). LibreOffice is under normal distro support in Linux where you get updates and possible upgrades automatically under distro's support time and after that when upgrading to next version of the Linux distro. In worst case there is a risk that MS Office just stops working after some update.

Question related to your earlier post, what are those 2, 3 or 5 things disappearing when using LibreOffice? Asking just due to I have not had that kind of problems with LibreOffice Writer. LibreOffice can be set to use automatically only MS formats when saving your documents.

Here is a link to a tutorial video how to set the default formats to LibreOffice .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXIjf8ewmY

Anonymous

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12:06 pm

Here I made few screenshots how to use and something of what can be done with LibreOffice Writer. It is easy to use and works fine also together with GIMB to edit all bitmap pictures. This is a short tutorial how to make basic documents with LibreOffice Writer.

There are also many customization possibilities to change it's look and feel according to needs. The .odt document can be sent also directly converted either to MS or .pdf format from the "send menu". Look some additional exellent features from these pictures.

LibreOffice 1.png

The tool panel changes according to the needs when selecting a vector graphics object.
Changing the line color and changing the picture size.

LibreOffice 4.png

Using backgrounds in the documents from Gallery. Changing the object's color.

Libre office background3.png

Page and picture settings. Borders and shadows for pictures.

Picture settings.png

Checking the whole document layout. Highlighting texts.

LibreOffice whole2.png

I converted this document from .odt format to .doc and anything changed or disappeared there.
Further on I made a .pdf file of this to mail it further just to keep it's size small enough.

For advanced use and customization of LibreOffice Writer, here is a link to a complete video tutorial set. There are 91 short (ca.5 min.) videos to show all needed in details of Writer, starting from "First look". It can be looked just selecting the needed section(s) to learn or solve some issue(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc845_F ... C0D2ADF410

jojothehobo

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41:12 pm

There is another option that hasn't been mentioned, ZOHO Office. It has a version that is installable on Linux. It is very Microsoft Office compatible, has applications that Office doesn't have and some capabilities Office doesn't have. All their applications have a free version with complete capabilities but limited storage. It will be fine for the casual user. For a small home office user then they have pricing similar to Google Apps, i.e less than $100/year. I used them for a while and was quite pleased. I would have no problem going back to it if I had the time or requirements to do so.

At present I bought a version of Crossover office at a discount ($40) and installed Office 2007 Professional and it works just fine for when I need MS Office tools for correspondence. The rest of the time I use Libre Office, or Gnumeric when I need math functions Libre doesn't handle well or macros that seem to run on Gnumeric and not Libre. The plugins make Libre Office more capable than MS Office since MS Office addins often cost money sometimes not a trivial amount. For complex documents I use Lyx. Lyx +LibreOffice knock the socks off MS Word. Scribus does similarly to Publisher. The Base program is better than Access, and MySQL or PostGres beats both of them to pieces. Also, for some interesting takes on what office suites can do I recommend looking at Calligra Office. It is still developing but it has unique capabilities and could become the next generation office suite. or at least a complementary capability for structured documents.