This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trying to get past Time Zone setup

jeffclough

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40:22 pm

Setup:
    Dell Precision 390
    4GB RAM
    Trying to replace Windows 7 on hard drive.
    I'll make one big partition for this test.
    Zorin reports for graphics: "Gallium .4 on NV42, Standard Experience"
    Using built-in ethernet to connect to Internet (which works on the live CD).
    Installing from Zorin Live CD session. (Desktop icon: "Install Zorin OS")
    Installing from the Zorin 8 Live CD.

Purpose:
    On behalf of some friends of mine I'm deciding whether people who have never known anything but Windows can really install Zorin from the live CD and use it comfortably.

Procedure:
    1. I take the default "Replace Windows 7 with Zorin" selection on the "Installation type" dialog (leaving encryption and LVM unchecked) and click the "Install Now" button.
    2. I then see the "Where are you?" dialog with a small, modal dialog in front of it with just an "OK" button on it. The modal dialog has only question marks for text and an icon that is a black circle with a white, horizontal bar centered within it.

My options at this point are to click "OK" or the "x" to dismiss the small, modal dialog. Either option puts me right back at step number 1 above. There appears to be no way forward from here.

Any help? Am I missing something silly?

--Jeff

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:45:27 pm

Hi, Normally you should get the picture of a world map and a box underneath to enter your City/Town - if your City is in more than one place around the world a drop-down box should appear and you choose the correct one that applies to you - see my install video that I created for the Release Candidate:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

jeffclough

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58:26 pm

Thanks for the reply and the video. I thought formatting the hard drive in preparation for installation would be *part* of the installation process. I tried partitioning the drive as you showed, but I got errors there too. In any case, I still can't get past the time zone setup. I get no drop-down list. There's just what I'm only guessing (because all the text is just question marks) is an error dialog with an OK button on it. Clicking OK just cancels takes me back to the "Installation type" dialog.

Here are some screen shots, if that helps to clarify what I'm up against.

IMG_20140612_151150_486.jpg
I chose the "Something else" option, since that what I saw you do in the video.

IMG_20140612_151331_147.jpg
Taking a stab at how the disk should be partitioned.

IMG_20140612_151404_023.jpg
There's no going forward from here. I cick OK and am sent back to the "Installation Type" dialog.

Thanks for taking a look at this. Is there anything else I might try?

--Jeff

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:00:59 pm

Well I noticed from your second screenshot that it mentions 'Array' - is this a 'RAID' set up? If so you may need to 'trim' the drive first. Also if it is a Solid State Drive, you should format to 'ext2' not 'ext4'. I really need to update that video as it was a suggestion posted by someone else and clearly you don't have to format before installing - that can be done at point of install - when Zorin 9 comes out I will pull that down and upload the 'correct' procedure! ;)

My only other thoughts (and this is assuming you are using a DVD of the downloaded *.iso:

1. Did you download using Firefox or Opera 12.16?
2. Did you use a download accelerator? - this is known to corrupt downloads.
3. Did you check the md5sum (http://winmdfree.com - I have a tutorial video on my veoh.com account)
4. Did you use a decent brand of DVD? Verbatim/Imation/TDK?
4. Did you use imgburn from http://imgburn.com? - it is the only burner I will use!
5. Have you used one of these lately? http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

That's all I can think of for now! :D