This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless Networking Does Not Work

jereece

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:35:42 am

I have a Lenovo S10 Netbook. It ran Windows XP but since that is no longer supported I installed Zorin Lite. It works well except Wireless Networking does not work. When I click on the networking icon in the lower right corner, beside the wireless bars it says "not enabled". Under Wireless Networks it says "Device Not Ready (firmware missing". Wired networking works fine. I verified wireless was turned on in the BIOS. Next I went into "Additional Drivers". Zorin searched and found "Broadcom STA Wireless Driver". So I clicked on Activate. It tried to download but then I got an error message saying it failed and to check the "Jockey.log". There's a lot of information in this log...too long to post. However it says something about no corresponding handler for the driver. It also says something about bcm43xx blacklisted. But it also says Broadcom WLHandler enabled, kmod disabled, b43 enabled and b43 legacy enabled. I have no clue what all this means. Does anyone have a clue how to get my wireless networking fixed? I appreciaate the help.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:38:49 am

Hi, please be patient, madvinegar our resident wireless expert will solve your issues I am sure of it! :D

nrgmaster

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17:07 pm

In the meanwhile you could type lspci in a terminal and look for the wireless information, something like: Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01) that way i found out what type of firmware i needed