This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dropbox indicator-applet icon gone

zoringroup21

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54:12 pm

I have Zoin 6.x on the main PC and several instillations on laptops.

We relay on Dropbox for our main work task.

In May Dropbox status icon gone astray in 6, than I noticed it in 7.

I completely re-installed the system - 6.x , downloaded Dropbox, and it is not here again.

I did resesrsch on " Dropbox indicator-applet icon " - seems, tried them all, no luck.

Do we have Zoin authorized step-by-step recovery or installation of Dropbox manual?

Even better - please include Dropbox in next update!

Thank you!

:P

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:57:23 pm

Do you see Drop-box in the main menu? If not there, right-click the 'Z' menu orb and select 'Edit' - see if it is present in the Menu - Might be under 'Internet' or 'Other' or 'Accessories' - if unchecked, check to get it in the menu. Then right-click item in Menu and select 'Create Desktop shortcut' - Launch the app from the desktop shortcut - this should then show up an applet in the panel - right click this and select - create Launcher - you may have to do some editing - if you right-click the desktop shortcut and select properties this will show the command needed to launch the application - copy and paste this into the newly created launcher. :D

zoringroup21

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32:02 pm

Thank you for your help!

Indeed, Dropbox starts and works, files are synchronizing.

We do not see the applet that shows download, upload progress.

It is critical for us to monitor the status, as we are dealing with LARGE files and we have due delivery in minutes (not days) to broadcast them.

1.png [/attachment]

I created a shortcut

Not clear, what to do next...

1.png
shortuct

UPDATE:

I checked "allow execution as program, it is now a shortcut to Dropbox. Pressed, it does not do anything, as Drobox is already running.

;-(

3.png
update

Thank you again.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16:38 pm

Hi, I don't use it myself (came preinstalled with Pear 5) - for you to launch it manually you will have to 'uncheck' it in startup applications! :D

I don't know about monitoring as like I said - don't use it.

zoringroup21

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:28:19 pm

Thank you!

Start-up drobox - unchecked.

Dropbox started manually, from the shortcut.

Dropbox starts, but icon indictaor still does not work

zoringroup21

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:33:14 pm

4.png
Pear ranking

I was not able to find Pear in top 100 Linux distos.

However, here is what I have found.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Communic ... 1209.shtml

As far as we know, Arch Linux is the only distribution to offer the latest version of the Dropbox client for Linux. So we suggest to install a user-friendly Arch Linux-based operating system, such as Manjaro, if you want to enjoy the features brought by the latest Dropbox releases.

Zorin folks, please help, we jeopardizing the operation with Dropbox not working on Zorin...

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:28:30 am

Hi, when you say 'indicator' is this like some icon that should be in the 'notification' area to show it is running? If so see if you can get 'awn applets all' or 'avant-window-navigator applets all' from Synaptic Package Manager - this did not work at first for me in Zorin 8 but somehow a change happened and could - you then get rid of 'indicator applet 3' from the panel at the bottom by:

1. Right-click the Panel and select Dock Preferences.

2. Click on Applets tab

3. Scroll down the applets (reminder you do all of this after installing the remaining applets - if 'all' is not there look for 'notification area') until you see notification area and drag this down to the 'replcia panel' at the bottom of the 'applets tab' - it will then show up in the panel. :D

The developer of Pear sold his system to a 'well known company' - having listened to a podcast where the person taking on the successor OS, Klementine, gave clear hints that it may well have been Canonical - Ubuntu for Mac has always been my suspiciaon as Mr Shuttleworth is poised ot become the next Steve Jobs (just my personl opinion)

I can't remember if Pear 8 (based on 13.10) has drop-box but you can download Pear 8 from here:
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 76309.html

Pear Linux 5 based on Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) is here!:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pearoslinux/