This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unbootable after failed Zorin 8 install

Quaestor

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:24:13 am

I really stuck. When I boot all I get is this:

error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _

using the ls command gives this:

(hd0) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)

Using my Windows 7 DVD I've tried "bootrec /FixBoot" and "bootrec /FixMBR" and "bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr" but without avail. The machine still gives the unknown filesystem error.

I've considered trying to re-install Zorin in hope that a working grub will be correctly installed, but the installer sees Windows and Zorin already in place and offers to erase the disk or install along side, but I don't want two installs of Zorin. I looked at the "Something Else" but option, but was confused so I gave up and visited here for help.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:03:49 pm

OK, the command to get back Windows 7 - firstly you need to boot with your Repair Disc or Windows 7 disc if you have not created repair disc. The correct command is:

Code:
bootrec[b].exe[/b]/FixMbr

Looking at your information you have nothing but msdos drives (should be NTFS) so something definitely wrong with your partitions anyways. Please boot Zorin Live and post a screenshot of GParted - go to menu of Zorin live desktop and enter 'GParted' in search box - go to Accessories | Screenshot - select 'take picture of active window' then rename saved file from *.png to *.jpg and upload here - instructions how to do that on my veoh.com channel - just search for my username once you get there and view the video.

Quaestor

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:21:00 am

Actually it turns out that grub rescue didn't quite know what it was taking about. It identified all my partitions but incorrectly classified all of them. There are (or were) four partitions on disk0 (two ntfs, one ext4, and one totally hosed swap space that the previous install failed to create properly) and 1 ntfs partition on disk1.

In any case, problem fixed. What I did was this: I rebooted my Zorin DVD and started the installer again. I chose "something else" and using the partition manager (which I find rather confusing compared to GParted) I formated the EXT4, specified the mount point, then I deleted the bad swap. Next I created a small EXT4 partition where the swap had been, formated it (I wanted to overwrite anything there), then deleted it. Finally I created a new swap space. From there I went on with a normal Zorin install which was successful. Grub now works, and Zorin and Windows 7 boot correctly. Windows Disk Manager sees all partitions as healthy. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my partitions, at least GParted doesn't report a problem.

I was considering returning to my Windows DVD and running "bootrec /rebuildbcd," but instead I tried the above routine first. I don't know whether it would have worked.

I'm not familiar with the /b switch. What is it?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06:19 pm

Hi, I guess I should have created a space - I was trying to 'bold' .exe as you had omitted that from your posted command! :D

And actually, the Zorin installer is in fact GParted! ;)

Quaestor

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20:27 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I guess I should have created a space - I was trying to 'bold' .exe as you had omitted that from your posted command! :D

And actually, the Zorin installer is in fact GParted! ;)

That's interesting, makes sense really. However the GParted interface one uses within the OS itself is much more intuitive than the interface available within the Zorin installer, so I assumed it was a different partition editor.

As you may know the .exe extension is not needed by the Windows console, so I typed the command as I would have used it.

At any rate, my problem is solved, though what went wrong in the first place is still unknown to me, and I thank you, Swarfendor, and the Forum for your timely help.