This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Total newbie, a bit lost....

chrisamps

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:33:56 pm

Hi,
I'm trying this out in the hope of moving away from Windows in due course.
I have installed Zorin on a virtual machine just to get the hang of it and make sure I can do the things I normally do with a Windows box.
So far, it looks really slick, and has just finished updating, so I opened the command shell and installed bit torrent using
sudo apt-get install bittorrent
Entered the su password and off it went...... where on earth has it put it?
I tried using the file browser, but I'm none the wiser.
How do I create a start menu item for it or put a shortcut on the desktop?
Sorry for the real newbie questions....
Chris.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:48:59 am

Hi, Sadly in 8 you cannot edit the Menu unless you either:

a) install 'alacarte' or better still;

b) install 'GnoMenu':

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

You don't need to install AWN as that is already present (panel at bottom of desktop), but edit the AWN Panel by right-click and select 'Edit Dock Preferences' - click on 'Applets' tab then scroll down to the newly installed 'GnoMenu' and drag it to the far left of the 'fake' panel at the bottom of the 'Applets' Window - then click on the 'ZorinMenu' applet and click on the 'up' arrow above the fake panel to remove it. You can now edit the menu! :D

Bittorrent should be in the 'Internet' section of the menu.

Linx

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:43:45 pm

I little off topic (but only a little)

I would suggest using deluge for a bit torrent client ( and it installs under "Internet" )

I needed to use it for some additional functionality I needed and I found that I really really liked it.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install deluge -y

chrisamps

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:19:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
Got qBittorrent installed and it seems to be doing the job so far.

On another note, when I installed Zorin the first time, the window animations were really slow, so I went to software centre, edit, other software sources and additional drivers.
I selected the nVidia driver listed as tested, and then restarted, only to get a black screen.
I re-installed Zorin earlier (hadn't got anything to lose) and the window animation was excellent, really quick.
Youtube videos played perfectly and a DVD as well.

I did a sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade
Then the updates suggested on Zorin.

Now the graphics are really slow agin, and youtube/DVD play back all jerky.
I am loathed to try the graphics driver update again, as last time it ruined it :)

Any suggestions/help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25:32 pm

Hi, one issue will have been 'sudo apt-get upgrade' - it should be 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'! You could end up creating issues. As for nvidia, I would not go beyond 304/304 updated driver! ;)