This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin locks on first boot

Anonymous

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:19:50 pm

I installed Zorin OS core 8 with a live CD and booted into the install and it locked up and the mouse was unresponsive. (pictures are attached) After multiple reboots I booted into Zorin successfully and installed the latest driver from AMD's website and after a reboot it locked up again and it took several reboots to get it working again. (I am dual booting windows 7 and Zorin) I am no newcomer to the technical side of computers or Linux command line so I can follow complicated instructions. My PC components are as follows : AMD FX-4150 4.0 GHz. quad core processor, Kingston SSDnow v300 240GB SSD, 8GB of patriot 1333mhz. RAM and 8 GB of kingston 1333mhz. RAM for a total of 16GB, gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 rev. 5.0 motherboard, AMD Raedon R7 240 graphics card. I can boot off of a flash drive with Zorin and works fine. (but really slow) Hope you guys can give me a solution because for now I'm stuck in windows :(

Edit: Any suggestions are welcome. If I could at least get an idea of what would cause it that would be nice.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51:07 am

OK, you have a Solid State Drive - I am not up-to-date with SSD's - when they first came out they had ot be 'trimmed' first:

http://techgage.com/article/enabling_an ... der_linux/

Also, partitions should be formatted to 'ext2' not 'ext4' (unless trimming resolves this?)

Personally I would avoid AMD Graphics drivers like the plague - I have an on-board AMD 3000 Chipset which crashed with fglrx from the repositories - and AMD either not supporting GNU/Linux fully or just old cards I am not sure. You are best using the 'Nouveau experimental drivers' that run by default.

When GRUB boots, press the Tab key to edit the boot command line and try this:

Code:
xforcevesa acpi=off nomodeset

If your BIOS has the option to turn ACPI off (like mine) then do that from there - so you would not need that second command - be sure to put a 'space' at the end of the boot command before entering that code above.

Anonymous

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:48:40 pm

Ok, trimming it worked now I'm in Zorin but I have another problem when I went to update the kernel from 3.11.0-17-generic to 3.11.0-23-generic it crashed and I started it again and everything else installed fine except for the kernel. And now I have to go to advanced options for Zorin and use the 3.11.0-17-generic kernel and if I try to just boot into zorin I get a black screen and nothing else. Is there any way to reinstall the kernel or fix it in some way. I went into recovery mode and did dkpg but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Edit: failsafe graphics mode doesn't work so it doesn't seem to be the graphics.

Edit: reinstalling the kernel doesn't work either.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:41:43 pm

OK, did you make sure that you were connected to the internet when you ran dpkg? Having seen Wolfman's advice elsewhere, yoiu should reboot, not continue - is it possible for you to do this? Can you reboot into the earlier kernel by choosing advanced mode?

Anonymous

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:00:23 pm

I'm in the previous kernel I'm just using it like normal until I can figure out how to install the latest kernel. (after what happened) And the software updater says I'm up to date with the old kernel I don't know why I removed the new one. I was previously rebooting into the previous kernel in advanced mode and I was connected to the internet when I ran dpkg.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34:41 pm

Hi, is this item [SOLVED] yet! :D

Anonymous

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53:58 pm

Sorry been busy (I reinstalled thinking that would help) If I do anything with the 3.11.0.23 kernel it locks up even recovery mode and I have to go into recovery mode on the 3.11.0.17 and click resume and works fine but just booting into Zorin doesn't work for some reason anybody have any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:38:36 am

Have you got both those kernels installed still? If the lower one is trouble free then you need to remove the newest one:

1. Boot into the lower kernel.

2. Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge kernel-xxxxx-3.11.0.23

(I am at work so can't give all the correct wording - hence the inclusion of the xxxxx's! :D

Anonymous

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:35:44 pm

Zorin works fine on my old HDD I had lying around so its the SSD and I didn't follow all of your instructions about the SSD so that's what I'm going to do.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:48:04 am

I tried all of the above that you said to do for a SSD and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions? And can you also help me with prompts for open as admininstrator coming up really slow and my computer being really slow in the meantime.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:12:29 pm

So It works on a HDD so what can I do to make it work on the SSD? Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:44:10 pm

What are the settings in the BIOS? I am not an SSD expert as I have never owned one - I know for sata drives the setting has to be EHCI - check your documentation on the SSD - if it came with the machine, consult the manual if there are any special instructions to prepare the hard drive for 'first use' etc.

Anonymous

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46:56 pm

Can't find the manual and it has native IDE Under on chip SATA type. any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25:31 pm

Can the machine have SSD and Hard Drive? I would install to Hard Drive after removing SSD, then put the SSD back in, Make the Hard Drive boot first then update grub:

Code:
sudo update grub
so that it picks up the SSD in the boot menu.

Anonymous

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:33:23 pm

Ok did that.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16:22 pm

Hi, can this be marked as [SOLVED] now? :D

Anonymous

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51:51 pm

nope still have the same problem maybe Zorin 9 will fix it

Anonymous

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33:01 pm

This issue has been resolved with Zorin 9 so you can mark it as solved.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:45:56 pm

Hi, great to hear! :D

Anonymous

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:56:32 pm

:)