This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't boot into Zorin, can't see it in boot menu

Hangover

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00:29 pm

So I tried to install Zorin 8 on my Asus A55V laptop. Stupid as I am, I didn't many guides before hand, I simply clicked "install" and hoped for the best. My computer has 2 harddrives, the C: drive contains my Windows 7 installation, and the D: drive contains the Zorin 8 installation. From the computers boot menu, I can only select to boot Windows (or I can boot Zorin 8 from my USB live). I tried to install as dual-boot.

Zorin ran fine when running it live. Also something to note is that Windows asked me if I wanted to repair my computer when booting after the Zorin install. It only did that the first time, and I chose to start Windows as normal.

I'm confused as where I have to go now. Do I mess with the partitions? Delete Zorin and try to reinstall? Note that I'm a COMPLETE linux noob, and have never messed with partitions or other operating systems before, so I might ask some stupid questions!

Any help is appreciated! ^^

Anonymous

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:31:38 am

Hi

If your BIOS does not see your second HDD in boot order list so that you can boot from that, so you can not start Zorin 8. You probably have the boot loader now installed into the second HDD and it starts then only from the first HDD with Windows. (Or the USBlive installation if selected from BIOS). You should have the boot loader installed to the first HDD so that you can select there whether you want to start Zorin 8 or Windows. So you have to fix that. I suppose that you have to make a new installation using the "Something Else" method. Hopefully boot loader can see the Zorin 8 from the second HDD then.

Look this for further information of installation.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Here is a complete partitioning guide if needed

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54:22 am

The other crucial element is that you did not state which version of Windows you are running, and if 8, see this post here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6500