This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Broken Polish language? [Newbie]

Dastingo

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:24:41 pm

Hello folks!
I am very fresh to Linux systems, and I've decided to get myself Zorin OS 8 Gaming. I'd like to explore this system a little bit, I'm slowly getting use to the new interface and such stuff.
However, one thing is very annoying. On my old PC (it's about 10-12 years old) I've managed to install Lubuntu to make it work quite nice and with polish language. Here, I have US english, I cannot change it (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699&p=5927#p5927 this topic wasn't helpful, nothing worked). It seems like there is no link to Polish version or something like that. I also can't use polish signs, and this is really damaging for my job (I am an article writer, thus I have to use Win7 for now). I've installed Zorin on my external hard drive and it works quite well except for some things (Still a noob, I'm trying to make windows stuff working on Zorin). I'll be grateful for helping me to switch language to Polish :)

Howdy!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:41:41 pm

dzień dobry! :D

Firstly I would update the Language Settings - this should show up shortly after installation when you click on 'Languages' in 'System Settings'. So you followed Wolfman's guide to the letter and it did not work at all?

Dastingo

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35:36 am

After some restarts and messing with every single possible option, After another restart I've managed to change it finally, but I don't really know what was the issue :D. Probably I did something wrong with Wolf's guide earlier.

However, I am encountering more problems of another nature.

1.Whenever I have any icon on my desktop (Like War Thunder launched by Wine), when I try to move it, it simply disappears... I have no idea why is that so.
2.When I boot Zorin, before it will start I have few seconds to chose Zorin, advanced options and memtests. Is there any way to disable it to boost my boot? I do not really care for those options as this OS is installed for test purposes. I do not have any important files here and I just want to boost the system as much as I can.
3.Also, when I launched War Thunder for the 1st time I had around 1-2 FPS. I think I've installed Nvidia drivers correctly and it popped to about stable 40(which is impressive for external hdd + linux which i thought is completely unplayable). However, It often freezes at the startup or in the middle of the game. I cannot do anything but to restart.

By the way, how do I actually use something like task manager to check my processes, services and CPU usage? ctrl alt delete acts as logout and I need something else here. Also, where do I choose potential startup applications?

Sorry for being so chaotic but I think it's better to type down all my problems in 1 topic instead of spamming around.
Cheers!

Strange activity:
I've managed to manually find task manager, what is the process called ZeitGeist? And how do I lower my CPU usage, it is all the time 100%, I know there was something about contribution my CPU power but I am not interested in that at least for now.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:57:38 am

Dastingo wrote:However, I am encountering more problems of another nature.

1.Whenever I have any icon on my desktop (Like War Thunder launched by Wine), when I try to move it, it simply disappears... I have no idea why is that so.

All I can advise that this could be a game/WINE issue - head over to winehq (http://appdb.winehq.org/) and see if there are similar issues reported

2.When I boot Zorin, before it will start I have few seconds to chose Zorin, advanced options and memtests. Is there any way to disable it to boost my boot? I do not really care for those options as this OS is installed for test purposes. I do not have any important files here and I just want to boost the system as much as I can.
3.Also, when I launched War Thunder for the 1st time I had around 1-2 FPS. I think I've installed Nvidia drivers correctly and it popped to about stable 40(which is impressive for external hdd + linux which i thought is completely unplayable). However, It often freezes at the startup or in the middle of the game. I cannot do anything but to restart.

To speed up your boot process you need to edit the grub.cfg file and reduce start time to x number of seconds - as Zorin uses a journaling system I would not reduce this below 5 seconds - see this image from the complete guide by dedoimedo (http://dedoimedo.com/images/computers_n ... ub-cfg.jpg) - see towards the bottom where it is set to [color=#FFFFFF]10 - change this to 5[/color]

By the way, how do I actually use something like task manager to check my processes, services and CPU usage? ctrl alt delete acts as logout and I need something else here.

Menu | System Tools | System Monitor - I find it useful to creat a shortcut and add it to a dock or panel for easy access - when you click on the processes tab, right-click the application you want to stop and select 'Kill' - quicker than 'End Process' - You will notice some PID (Process Identification numbers) - if you make a note of the ones that you want to stop, keep a terminal open and just enter:

Code:
kill pidxxxx

Also, where do I choose potential startup applications?

I am not at my GNU/Linux box at the moment and my memory is all over the place at the moment, but right-click any application in the menu and see if the context menu states 'add to startup applications' - if you are wanting to disable something on startup I will respond later

Sorry for being so chaotic but I think it's better to type down all my problems in 1 topic instead of spamming around.
Cheers!

Strange activity:
I've managed to manually find task manager, what is the process called ZeitGeist? And how do I lower my CPU usage, it is all the time 100%, I know there was something about contribution my CPU power but I am not interested in that at least for now.

ZeitGeist feels like some monitoring activity that you don't want - Wolfman posted somewhere how to stop this from running - only downside if my memory is working correctly is that Compiz will no longer work?

Dastingo

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:12:14 pm

Thank You, those tips were extremely helpful to me!
About War Thunder - I've settled up Zorin again, but now not on external but normal HDD. It works just fine now.

Cheers for all the informations :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:03:21 pm

Hi Glad you are sorted - will mark as [SOLVED] :D

Startup Applications - Preferences I believe! :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:26:35 pm

Ok, something for you to try regarding Zeitgeist:

http://linuxaria.com/howto/how-to-remov ... hy?lang=en

but be warned, DO SO AT OWN RISK! :D

UPDATE - just had a look at this and a lot of things will go west if you try to remove it - SO DON'T! :D