This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Running Home Planet on Wine

fredixalation

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:17:22 am

Hi, I'm not a very expert Linux user, having just made the transition from the other side (Windows). I have successfully run Home Planet through Wine, but a strange thing is happening: I have set my observer's location at Perth Western Australia, whichis +8.oo hours GMT/UTC. However the map window, displays the correct time, for both GMT and WST (Western Australian Standard Time) , but provides the zone descriptor as China Standard Time. As a cross check, I moved the observers location to Sydney, which is +10 hours GMT, but still receive China Standard Time, as the time zone ... This only happens when I run this program on Linux(Zorin) through Wine. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Wolfgang02

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44:02 pm

Is this the home planet you are talking about?
http://www.fourmilab.ch/homeplanet/

If so there is source code at the end of the page and that may be possible to compile into Linux code by using make. With the .net, then it might not be possible - but it might be possible.

Have you tried to compile it on your computer and see if that works?

PS. remember that wine is not an emulator so it doesnt always work but it does do a fantastic job which means that some features may be missing and some might not work as they should. This means the problem is using Wine and not the software nor the OS nor the hardware.

fredixalation

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13:23 am

Thanks, it is working, and I appreciate that WINE might not fully make the program work faultlessly; the OS is working well, and I think, if the 'Standard Time glitch on Home Planet, (which is the one you mention, thanks for your trouble in finding it}, is the only fault, and it doesn't actually cause any problems with time and location setting, I'll put up with it, as I'm not very familiar with working on source code.
Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:44:12 am

Glad you are sorted! :D

120 blue jewels to Wolfgang02! :D