This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Errno 5

wordfist

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47:13 am

Hello,

I'm trying to install OS 8 lite on a netbook via usb, but am receiving errno 5 - input/output errors. I did successful dual-boot install alongside windows 7. After playing around, I decided to erase w7 entirely. I re-partitioned and reformatted the drive. During that install, I first received errno 5. Since then I have tried:

1. Downloading multiple iso's in multiple versions (6.2 lite and 8 lite, core, and educational)
2. Setting up USB drive using Unetbootin in Windows and Mac, and using the startup disk creator in Lubuntu
3. Booting from multiple USB drives (two different drives and even a SD card (wasn't even recognized from the boot menu), all with adequate capacity, all reformatted after each attempt using Windows and Mac)
4. Running the installation from multiple USB ports (the installation progresses farther along when using one particular port than with all the others, but fails at about 70% while the others fail at 30%)
5. Flashing the BIOS (no change)
6. Experimenting with different partitions (none, FAT 32, ext2, ext4, different sizes, from the middle/end of the disk, all yielding the same result)
7. Installing a new hard drive (same result, no change)
8. Installing from live desktop and from boot menu (no difference. The live boot works perfectly)
9. Multiple reformats (no difference)

I even tried installing in the bathroom with my socks on my hands and candles lit instead of light bulbs. Interestingly, this got me the farthest along the installation process of anything I've tried. But no, it's not the USB drives or the hard drive.

I've been at this for four days, and I'm out of ideas. Anyone see anything I missed or know of any other possible solutions? I seriously want to eat my own foot for messing with the successful installation after the first go. I thought about reinstalling windows and starting over, but I can't find the disk, so there goes that idea. In the mean time, I'm going to sit the laptop in front of the air conditioner for a while then try again in case it actually is the temperature thing Errno 5 mentioned.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks!

Anonymous

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38:26 am

Hi
This seems to be slightly stubborn case. I don't know many additional things to do to install it better, however here something that you can try or check whether those helps before going to more exotic methods. :D

- Can you use UUI (Universal USB Installer) to make the bootable USBdrive? it is a Windows software. It works sometimes better than those you have tried.
- Have you possibility to use DVD installation just to try whether that works better ?
- Do you have an Ethernet cable connection to internet during installation?
- Do you make some language selections, other than English when installing?. I had some problems with that to get Zorin 8 installed.
- Have you checked that your downloaded .iso files are error free.
- Have you followed carefully the installation guide using "Something Else" method.

Can you send your notebook specs. and a screenshot of your partitions you tried to use to install, so that someone can look whether there is something?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:00:11 pm

Back to basics - did you check the md5sum of the downloaded image? Did you use Firefox or Opera and you did not use any 'download accelerators'? :D

wordfist

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:50:33 pm

Thanks for the replies! Aaaaaaaand success! FINALLY. I'm assuming this will work with any Ubuntu-based linux since the install process is the same.

I did the back to basics - everything checks out. I downloaded a fresh iso using the recommended browser (Chrome) with no funny business like accelerators.

Here's what I did for the successful install attempt:
- Downloaded fresh iso.
- Created a startup USB using UUI instead of Unetbootin.
- Booted into Live
- In preferences > Disks, deleted all partitions (if a partition won't delete, click the gear, change its type, save, then delete)
- Rebooted into Live
- In Gparted, created a partition for the disk's first 5gb (0-5200mb)
- In Gparted, reated a second partition in ext2
- In Gparted, created a third 8gb swap space partition
- Right-click in the tasks area, hit "Apply"
- Rebooted into Live

Then, at the installation screen, instead of selecting the top/"automatic" install, I chose "Something Else," then
- Set the first/5gb partition to "Do not use this partition"
- Set the big partition to "Primary"
- Set the final/8gb partition to "Linux/swap"
- Let the system do its formatting disc thing
- Draped chicken skin over the top of the screen
- Proceeded with install
- Success!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Anonymous

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:15:08 am

Nice to hear that you got it installed.