This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] wireless printer, printer sharing, zorin 8.1

pressure1ot

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43:55 pm

I've just dual booted zorin 8.1 lite onto an old XP machine. Installation was uneventful, thanks to all the info on this and other sites... BUT, zorin can't seem to find my canon wireless printer (a Pixma MP495 printer scanner).
My ethernet comes in through a cable modem, to a 4 Cat-5 port wireless router (Netgear). The 4 Cat-5 cables go to 4 computers ( this machine .. dualboot XP / Zorin 8.1, a dualboot XP / Ubuntu 12.04, and 2 Vista (only) machines.) The 'wireless' services a Macbook, a dualboot HPTouchPad Android / Cyanogen mod9 and the Canon Pixma MP495 printer. All Operating systems and machines will print to the Canon but the Zorin 8.1.
As an aside, the zorin will access the scanner part of the Canon.. though rather slow. Now, I think the problem lies somewhere in the 'Sharing' features but I can't find anything that looks like a 'Preferences / Settings' window that relates to the problem. Zorin does have an installed 'Add Printer' but I can't figure out what it's asking me to provide. I tried pretty much all the selections in the 'Find on Network' choice, but still no joy. Anybody have a light they can shine down a possible road?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28:03 am

Hi, you may have to download the specific GNU/Linux driver from here:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/se ... g_os=Linux

I could not find an MP495 but I did find MP496! :D

After you have downloaded and installed the driver, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

and take it from there! :D

pressure1ot

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:36:12 pm

Stick a fork in this one.. it's done. Thanks for your help. The Canon-Asia site did have only the MP496, but the Canon-European site had the drivers for both the MP495 printer and scanner. Sorry its taken so long for the reply but a week and a half beatin' the keys and figuring out how to unpack a .tar file then uncompressing the enclosed .tar.gz, and Then how to invoke the app installer... Whew. I've written a large banner for the wall above my monitor "Order Is Important'. I even found out what "cups" means.. and learned not to shudder in fear when I came across it. Thanks again!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51:58 am

Hi, so glad you are now sorted! :D Will mark as [SOLVED]!