This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] change time zone

bradwww

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:17:50 am

please tell me how to change the time zone? i checked system settings which looks like the control panel equivalent, and date and time do not appear there, nor does a search for "date" or "time" produce any result there or in the main search menu on the zorin menu.
please advise where it is hidden and if you have a pdf file or other place where i can search random stuff like this - thanks!
brad

Anonymous

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11:50 am

Hi

When opening the "time" from AWN info panel, so there should be the "Time and Date settings"
Then just opening it click there your location to set the correct time zone and from the "clock" select 24 or 12 hours time display and weekday if wanted to be shown.

Time and date.png

If it does not work this way and it goes to "system settings" then there is a bug that has come with an update to the system. There is not the "Time and Date" setting any more and it uses those settings that has been given when installing the system. May be there is some workaround for this but I am not aware of that. This screenshot has been taken from the Zorin 9 Core RC and there it seems to work but not in my updated Zorin Core 8.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57:06 am

Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

this will install gnome-time-admin - amongst other things.

After install, leave terminal open and enter:

Code:
time-admin

You may need to 'unlock' to alter (your login password required) :D

[See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7666#p37116

bradwww

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:59:42 am

thanks guys - tried both, neither worked.
no time settings on the system menu - even though i installed another machine the later same day and it DOES have time settings - weird that the install would not trap that.
ran sudo twice - the second time it said already done, and time-admin still not installed. any other ideas? thanks!
brad

bradwww

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45:21 am

now this is getting weird - i downloaded a time and date program and was able to change the time in it but the clock on the taskbar was unaffected! how can this be?? weird! thanks
brad

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04:54 pm

OK, the way I did it initially was:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin

It came back with

Code:
Do you want to install gnome-system-tools?

I said 'y'

then from terminal after all installed:

Code:
time-admin

try

Code:
sudo time-admin

Also, make sure your Update Settings are pointing to 'Main Server' :D