This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

desktop webmail

Anonymous

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:06:34 pm

Zorin 6.4 core. Is it possible to get desktop webmail onto the awn dock? I have uninstalled Thunderbird as I do not like it .

Anonymous

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:15:13 pm

Hi

I have skipped all "Mailbox frontend" applications and I use now only the UI that the mail box supplier offers. It is a simple solution if your mail box supplier offers a good interface. This is one example of that alternative. I am using Gmail. I can open this from iStart page that opens automatically when starting the computer, ( Not from the AWN panel.)

Mailbox.jpg

Here is the mailbox tile , red "M" to open the Gmail box. There can be what ever mailbox supplier's box start connected to some other tile.

Zorin logo.png

More of iStart in this linked document.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/211598568/How ... -Metro-Lap

Anonymous

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:02:32 am

Thanks for that Henriolavi.
A bit radical for me. I have used yahoo mail for years and it suits me. I have it on the desktop but just wondered if it was possible to get it onto the awn dock where Thunderbird used to be.

Anonymous

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:54:30 am

I am not familiar with Yahoo mail, but if it offers a good UI and you are satisfied with that, you can start it from iStart page like this. There is ready an icon for Yahoo. The tile size can be also smaller. In this picture it is the largest. There is three tile size alternatives as can be seen. The tile colors can be selected according to users taste or using some brand color like blue with Zorin tiles.

I put here just as an example the tiles to link to "Yahoo email" and "Yahoo search". This screenshot is from a 1680x1050 pix. resolution display so the tiles looks smaller here than those taken from the laptop. I have here a hiding AWN panel and the same background as in the other work spaces.

Yahoo.png

Here is the Windows 8 Start page "Color theme".

Background color .png

I don't know whether there is some possibility to put a starter icon to the AWN panel.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:02:13 pm

When you launch from the desktop, does an icon appear in the panel? If it does, write click it and 'create launcher' if you need commands to launch if it is 'blank' right-click your desktop shortcut you have already, click on 'properties' and hopefully it should provide the 'command' to run in its box - highlight, copy and paste to the new launcher.

Anonymous

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:30:50 pm

Sorry for delay in replying Swarfendor. I am aware of what you say but can not do it, as it says the permissions for Yahoo and world tour golf both of which I would like to launch direct from the desktop,can not be determined.
I do not want to be over critical as I have not needed to go to windows for ages but only because I am begining to put up with second best in Linux. This is yet another thing that any idiot can do in Windows without any difficulty at all. I do not understand Linux but it appears that simple everyday things that ordinary users want are of no interest to them at all. Not moaning at you or Wolf as you are both really helpful for which I am truly thankful.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:41:01 pm

OK, I am not currently in Zorin but LXLE 14.04 64-bit - both in Firefox and Opera if I go to my webmail page where I have to login I go to File and save as .mht (Opera) or .html (Firefox) and it works - will see if I can do the same in Zorin 9 RC - will need to burn another disc as gave my first one away! :D

Anonymous

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:12:11 pm

Swarf. Thanks for all your effort but I will just live with what I have got. It is such a shame that something so basic to most ordinary users seems to have no priority with Linux powers that be or its users.