This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wake-On-LAN Setting

bradwww

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:22:34 pm

Hi, i was told how to use the wake-on-lan feature in Windows - you go to the network card settings and set the option. How do you get to the network card settings dialog in Zorin? Could not find it under System or Internet - and found no specific Hardware menu. thanks!
brad

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:48:13 pm

Wake-On-Lan can be found in your [ Bios Setup ] under the [ Advanced Section ] !!!! :D

bradwww

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:56:06 pm

sorry if i was not clear, it is not in the BIOS setup menu, that is why i am looking for it under the menus like Windows does, it is not too old of a computer 2009 so it should support it but BIOS does not have it. thanks!
brad

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:37:13 pm

Your computer will be the first out of a thousand or so that I've worked that didn't have it built in the [ Bios ] !!!!
Figured I'd mention it to ya anyway. :D :D

Example : 2008 Toshiba Satellite Screenshot

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:49:33 pm

Have you looked under 'Power Settings' in the BIOS? You may also need to install one or more of these?

Screenshot Synaptic wake.jpg

bradwww

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16:14 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Your computer will be the first out of a thousand or so that I've worked that didn't have it built in the [ Bios ] !!!!
Figured I'd mention it to ya anyway. :D :D

Example : 2008 Toshiba Satellite Screenshot

thanks giz - yes i was expecting to see the option in there but for some reason ASUS EEE PC does not seem to have the option in the BIOS, i am communicating with their support, perhaps i can update the BIOS but if the function is not in the hardware then i would be stuck. thanks.
brad

bradwww

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19:51 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you looked under 'Power Settings' in the BIOS? You may also need to install one or more of these?

thanks, no power settings in the BIOS - only a BOOT option with the boot device order - seems pretty bare bones, bad luck i guess.

by the way, what do you do for vimeo? i run WatzOn.TV and we support vimeo content in our mix channels, a great partner for us. thanks!

brad

Anonymous

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26:53 am

Try this and see what happens !!!! :D :D

The Linux "alarm clock" machine

I'm using my "always on" Linux box to wake up the Windows machine.

Install wakeonlan using "sudo apt-get install wakeonlan"

Now when you're ready to wake up the windows machine, type in "wakeonlan -i 192.168.1.255 mac_address"

The "192.168.1" bit will depend on your network. Just keep the 255 bit because that is to broadcast the MAC address to the whole subnet.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:34:35 am

bradwww wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you looked under 'Power Settings' in the BIOS? You may also need to install one or more of these?

thanks, no power settings in the BIOS - only a BOOT option with the boot device order - seems pretty bare bones, bad luck i guess.

by the way, what do you do for vimeo? i run WatzOn.TV and we support vimeo content in our mix channels, a great partner for us. thanks!

brad

Hi, I use vimeo for GNU/Linux tutorials and pointers to free music for free thinkers! :D

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/page:1/ ... rmat:video

I even got a 'like' from TEMS!