This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Boot Zorin 8 after Installation

T-Nichs

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14:17 pm

Hello,

I downloaded the Zorin ISO and then put it on a USB and went with the Live System Test. I then installed Zorin OS 8 and restarted my computer AND..... I can't boot it. I dual booted it alongside windows 8 and disabled everything so Windows 8 isn't chosen automatically but it still won't boot :( Help?

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24:47 pm

Make sure you have [ Turn on fast startup [ disabled ]
Reference via to [ Screenshot ]

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:47:22 pm

Look at the screenshot on top in [ blue text ] where it says [[[ change settings that are currently unavailable ]]] to unlock !!!!

T-Nichs

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07:09 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Look at the screenshot on top in [ blue text ] where it says [[[ change settings that are currently unavailable ]]] to unlock !!!!

Yea I figured that out after I posted lol (which is why I deleted it). If that doesn't work what should I do? should I boot from the regular usb or the UEFI version usb?

Anonymous

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28:48 am

Disabling [ Fast Startup ].......

OR

Disabling [ UEFI ] in Bios......

Disabling Both always solves the problem !!!! :D :D

T-Nichs

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51:58 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Disabling [ Fast Startup ].......

OR

Disabling [ UEFI ] in Bios......

Disabling Both always solves the problem !!!! :D :D

Alright even though I already installed it before turning fast startup off should I re-install it again?

Anonymous

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35:44 am

If you feel energetic...go for it....
Never hurts to start from scratch ......
No real need though.....

T-Nichs

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29:37 am

Gizmuntu wrote:If you feel energetic...go for it....
Never hurts to start from scratch ......
No real need though.....

Well after turning that stuff off the installation didn't show up so I will redo it and say what I have found :D

T-Nichs

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:03:04 am

Alright:

I disabled everything, reinstalled Zorin for the second time, restarted the computer
AND....
It didn't show up
I am ready to quit Linux before I start and I'm ready to pull out my hair b/c I've been trying to get this done for a week and a half now and I"m getting extremely frustrated

T-Nichs

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12:39 pm

What else could be wrong? I'm getting baffled from this lol :/

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:51:04 am

Did you follow the link I posted here?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500

T-Nichs

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:41:45 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you follow the link I posted here?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500

Ok: so first install Zorin, then download Easy BCD Installer, then set that up and restart? is Zorin also GRUB 2 as well?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47:04 pm

Yes, I do believe Zorin is GRUB 2 - I do have Windows 8.1 but not with UEFI - all I can say is follow that tutorial and report back to us! :D

T-Nichs

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00:30 am

Did everything, even tried Ubuntu, put in BCD and ran it, It came up at the boot screen, chose it, and IT FAILED TO BOOT!!!! I am getting so frustrated that I want to give up because I feel stupid... what am I doing wrong? I have tried Zorin and Ubuntu

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50:18 am

Hi, in the tutorial, there is something where you have to run Easy BCD in windows and choose the GNU/Linux you want to boot at next boot time from recollection - it is not 'straightforward' I'm afraid - don't forget we are all learning - so don't be disheartened! :D

T-Nichs

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, in the tutorial, there is something where you have to run Easy BCD in windows and choose the GNU/Linux you want to boot at next boot time from recollection - it is not 'straightforward' I'm afraid - don't forget we are all learning - so don't be disheartened! :D

So what am I supposed to do then?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:55:25 am

Hi, just for clarity, did the live test work without any issues? And was it purely 'live' not in a Virtual Machine in Windows 8? :D

T-Nichs

Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:45:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, just for clarity, did the live test work without any issues? And was it purely 'live' not in a Virtual Machine in Windows 8? :D

Yea the Live Version worked like a charm!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50:07 am

OK, I have noticed that it is not possible to boot into live mode on a machine with UEFI enabled, it just does not allow it - I have also noticed that what tends to happen is that the BIOS reverts back to UEFI after any 'messing' about with changing to 'legacy' mode on some Notebooks. Is there any way of making sure that when you installed Zorin that on reboot you go to BIOS first and check if UEFI has kicked in again?

Anonymous

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:25:06 pm

Try Zorin OS 9 RC...for it supports [ UEFI ]...none of the prior releases had any support.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:43:21 pm

Hi, I just found this excellent tutorial on dual booting with Win 8.1:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7767#p37519 :D