This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can the taskbar and menu be customized?

David_E

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08:46 pm

Hello, newbie to Zorin and Linux here.
I installed Zorin 8 64 bit in a VMware VM with Windows 7 64 bit as the host OS.
In Windows I use the "Quick Launch" toolbar on the Taskbar for my most used programs.
Is there a way to add a "Quick Launch" type toolbar to the Zorin taskbar ?

In System Tools: Preferences: Main Menu I can add items to the menu.
When I try to add a menu, nothing happens - the menu does not get added.
Does "Add Menu" work in Zorin ?
From what I see all the items get added to "Other".
Is this the only place I can add items?
I would like to be able to add my own menu to the Main menu and add my items there.

Thanks,
David

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:55:12 am

I'm afraid not - if you want a fully editable menu, install GnoMenu:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

after install it will appear in the AWN applets, remove the Zorin Menu applet and then you have a fully editable GnoMenu! :D

David_E

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:14:01 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437.
I got the Gnomenu added to the taskbar.
When I click it, it flashes a screen to quick too see, and the menu in the taskbar closes.
Have to click it to restart, but the menu never opens for me, just flashes and closes... :(

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45:03 pm

Try clicking on it a few times - this could be why Zorin has removed elements of GnoMenu to create Zorin Menu - I find you do have to left-click a few times to get it to open - not tried this Just to point out that Zorin 8 is now 'end-of-life' just like Ubuntu 13.10 on which it was based - try Zorin 9 RC - or you may want to wait for the final release of 9! :D

David_E

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:15:49 pm

I've tried several times and it still doesn't work.
RC 9 with Cinnamon 2.2 sounds like something I'd like to try.

In the RC 9 thread it states:
Installed Cinnamon 2.2 + Configurable Menu/Win7Look !!!!
Can be used as an alternative [ Desktop ] for those whom have/had major trouble with configuring/using Awn.

How do I install Cinnamon 2.2 + Configurable Menu/Win7Look ?

I can't post in the RC thread.
tyia,
David

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46:27 am

@Gizmuntu - Could you help David with this please? and share with the rest of us how you did it? :D

Another option would be to install Cairo-Dock but you have to be careful how you use it - I got a look I did not like - only changed the System Processes appearance and the whole theme went to neon - so avoid any 'Neon' appearances in Cairo-Dock!

download/file.php?id=2952&mode=view

This is what I had running on a different distro before I screwed up! (The desktop shown worked very well!)

siawacsh

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:21:37 pm

Hello folks, does this mean it is not possible to pin apps like thunderbird or firefox to the taskbar on Zorin 6 final?

siawacsh

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22:26 am

Hi slawacsh, the taskbar is a different issue - it is still AWN (Avant Window Navigator) - as a first step, create a desktop shortcut, launch it from there - this will show the apps icon on the panel - right-click and 'pin application' so it sticks. To make sure the command is present, right click the newly pinned application and select 'Edlt launcher' to ensure the command line to launch is present - if it isn't right-click the desktop icon and select properties - copy the command line from that into the opened 'Edit launcher' interface - and you're done! :D