This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 6 and Nvidia Geforce Gt 520MX

ckrles

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:53:39 pm

Hi I'm going to install Zorin 6 Lts on a laptop having: Intel i7 4Gb Ram nvidia Gefore Gt 520MX I have a doubt with the graphics card. I've tried the live session and it displays correctly but not at full resolution. I only getr 1324 X 768 ( I can't remember the exact figures). the fact is that I know that there exist Nvidia drivers (this script NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.59.run) which I haven't intalled yet, because I've read about a problem of overheating because of the combined use of both Intel's graphics card on i7 and Nvidia's card. I read something about Bumblebee driver which I don't know what exactly it does. I also read someting about some "optimus feature" not available in linux in Nvidia's card. Anyone could recommend me a driver to install and get 3D and all the feature of the graphics card. I would really appreciate if you could tell which driver (file or command line for terminal) to install before messing up with the drivers. I've also read something about changing some options in the BIOS, but I guess that would affect the dual boot with Windows, so it wouldn't be an option. Thank you for your help.

I don't know if Zorin 9 will have a better performance or if it will include the drivers? Should I wait for it?

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44:20 am

Hi and welcome! :D Can we start with the basics please:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

and also whether you intend to install alongside Windows on the same drive (and what version of Windows) or on a separate hard drive (if the Notebook supports a second drive; like some Toshibas do). :D

ckrles

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:57:54 pm

Yes, I do intend to dual boot with windows 7. I found the solution.
Asus Laptop Ks53c
CPU i7 4 Gb Ram Nvidia Geforce Gt520MX. I installed Zorin 6.

I used this solution: http://askubuntu.com/questions/151651/b ... ry-restart

I also tried Kubuntu 14.04 Lts and it work fine out of the box, but I preferred Zorin 6 (eager to have Zorin 9 Lts). Hopefully Zorin 9 will work out of the box too.

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:48:25 am

Glad you are sorted friend and thanks for sharing your solution - will mark as [SOLVED]! :D