This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Brightness on Asus laptop

ckrles

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:47:24 pm

Hi, I have an Asus Laptop A53S (k53sc). I can control the brightness through the menus and Fn + F5 and F6, but there's a problem. Once I adjust the brightness it is not saved and once the computer is rebooted it sets to maximum again.

I have tried different changes in the grub files, but still no luck. I also installed xbacklight but I can't find it. Is there any way to permanently set the brightness to a specific value?

Hardware: intel i7, 4gb ram, Nvidia Geforece Gt 520MX. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I haven't installed Nvidia drivers. I did installed Bumblebee.

I'm using Zorin 6.

Thank you very much.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:13:58 am

With this command find out what is your maximum backlight level: (for example mine is 16).

Code:
cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness

Then with the following command see which brigthness level suits you best (change the value in the begining of the command to your liking - I have set it to 12):

Code:
echo 12 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

After you test and you see that for example level 12 is your best choise, in terminal issue the command:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

A file will open. Add the following line just above "exit 0" (remember to change the brigthness level (mine is 12) to the one of your liking).

Code:
echo 12 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

Save, exit, reboot and you should be ok.