This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HELP!!!!!! Taskbar situation

Acer DeVille

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:17:25 pm

OK, this is a long story, so I'm going to just give you the short version that affects this. I'm on my son's computer, trying to fix my wife's computer. I'm on my son's because mine shorted out and fried the same day my wife's quit. Ya I have great luck. lol.

Anyway, I was messing around and decided I needed all my bookmarks and history from Chrome, so instead of messing with my son's Chrome, I decided to create a new account, do what I needed, then I could just delete my account and everything I had done, and his computer would be just like it was before I started. So I pull up the system settings menu, and of course as always (I don't know why this hasn't been corrected yet), the settings menu is too big, and the "add user" button is below the taskbar. As usual, there is no way to resize or move the &*(^&%* thing, so I think "The last time I had this problem, I made the taskbar so I could clickthrough it, did what I needed and reset the taskbar"

So this is where I &^%^&%^ up, I made the taskbar so I could clickthrough, and before I thought about it, I had closed the taskbar settings menu, now the taskbar has been made to be clicked through, and I can't click on the start menu or right-click the taskbar or anything. So Please, someone tell me how to fix this, before I have to tell him I messed up.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:31:17 pm

I take it you mean the panel at the bottom of the desktop screen; open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
avant-window-navigator
then press Return - your panel should appear - whilst it is there, right-click and select ' Dock Preferences' - change your Panel settings on the first tab that appears! :D

Acer DeVille

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:49:40 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, I knew it would be something simple, but I've had two computers go down the same day, and trying to get both of them running at the same time, is frying my fragile brain.

I was just thinking, it would be nice to be able to like give points or mention the person giving the correct answer. Nothing fancy, maybe like click a link on the right answer, and then the number of "awards" is posted under each members name or something, or just send the member with the right answer a pm saying "You did it again".

Acer DeVille

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:49:20 am

OK, just got around to trying this today, and when entering the command line, I get an error "WARNING there is another instance of AWN running", and that is all. It won't go any farther. I tried several other things I found on the internet, none of them worked, and it seems that as much as people like AWN, there's not a lot of people using it, so it's hard to find instructions for it.

Anonymous

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04:56 am

Acer DeVille wrote:OK, just got around to trying this today, and when entering the command line, I get an error "WARNING there is another instance of AWN running", and that is all. It won't go any farther. I tried several other things I found on the internet, none of them worked, and it seems that as much as people like AWN, there's not a lot of people using it, so it's hard to find instructions for it.

Acer Deville

You can go to the Zorin Menu > System Settings > System Monitor and look for [ Processes ] in the upper left corner.
There you will see any instances of [ Avant - Window - Navigator ] running.
In that window you can kill [ End ] any proceses if needed.
I took a Screenshot of the area of importance for you to look see at what I was referring.
After all instances of Avant - Window - Navigator disappear from that window.
You shouldn't have any trouble starting it up again.
The warning in the terminal should vanish.
Swarfendors instructions should work from this point forward.
Hope this helps ya !!!! :D :D