This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installing from targz

Anonymous

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:56:47 pm

I am trying to download Maxthon browser as it has been suggested to be good for playing World Golf Tour in Linux. I have extracted the files and there is a sh.install and an executable file. I do not know how to install them although I have both on the desktop neither will open. Can you give me instructions when you have time please to do it through the terminal. I have tried and the last thing I got was a lot of stuff about a new set of commands being used and the old ones being ditched. Good old Linux. I know nothing about the commands although I can do a couple of simple things through the termial but I need to know the exact things to type in. Tried to add screen shots but am not intelligent enough to work out how to do it, or they do not appear in preview mode.

Linx

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:55:29 pm

There should be an easier way than compiling (installing from tar.gz)...

Based on the maxthon website.
open terminal and run this for 32bit.
Code:
wget http://dl.maxthon.com/linux/deb/packages/i386/maxthon-browser-stable_1.0.3.10_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i maxthon-browser-stable_1.0.3.10_i386.deb

or for 64 bit
Code:
wget http://dl.maxthon.com/linux/deb/packages/amd64/maxthon-browser-stable_1.0.3.10_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i maxthon-browser-stable_1.0.3.10_amd64.deb

And that should do it.

Anonymous

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57:12 am

Thank you Linx. I saw the deb file possibility when I was on the download page. I know now thanks to you that that is the way to go. It also took me to askubuntu.com/questions/40779/how-do-i-install-a-deb-file-via-the-command-line which told me what to do when the terminal told me there were dependencies missing. I now have the game up and running in its own browser and it is running very well. Just have to learn how to play it. I still do not know if I should mark this as solved or if I should how to do it.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:28:04 am

Will mark as [SOLVED]! Glad you are sorted!

@Linx - if you are happy to do a 'How-to' on this, please feel free to do so! ;)

60 blue jewels to Linx for sorting this one out! :D