This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Linux novice with graphics problems

Dave in Houston

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:35:44 pm

Dear Zorin Folks,

I've always been a Windows guy, and today's Zorin experience is my first ever with any Linux.

My wife came across a couple of shoe boxes of obsolete computer parts and encouraged me to get rid of them. I told her I could build an obsolete computer with all those obsolete parts, to which she replied, "Yeah, right."

The gauntlet having been thrown down, I felt obligated to give it a try. I got everything to boot and run diagnostics last night, and put it in the case this afternoon. I had an XP license knocking around, but loading XP seems like swimming upstream these days, so I decided to try Zorin.

The install went OK, but when I rebooted the new installation, I got a gray screen. I'd read something here about video problems, so I decided to unplug the separate video card and try the graphics on the motherboard. Lo and behold, that worked!

So the question: Is it worthwhile to try to get a separate video card working? It might be an exercise that would teach me something about Linux, or it might be an exercise in frustration. If worthwhile, can you give me a few hints where to start?

FYI, the video cards that didn't work include Geforce MX420, Geforce FX5200, and Geforce FX5500. The manual says that the on-board graphics is an Intel 865 chipset, Intel Extreme graphics, AGP 8X.

The rest of the system includes an Intel 865GLC main board with 1.5 gig of memory.

I installed Zorin 8 on the only partition on the drive, wiping out everything else there. I have no plans to run any other OS on this computer.

I never ran Zorin Live on this system. I tried Zorin Live on another box, and it ran fine, so I didn't know I might need to run it on this old pile of parts.

Any help you can give will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:54:42 am

Well that is interesting - another forum member also had issues with FX5200 - if you can get your hands on one, I would go for an EVGA 8x AGP - at work so can't give you the model number - surprised these are still available as I had to replace my FX5700 LE 256 Mb 8x AGP that died recently - I will test Zorin in live mode as no space on the machine with the EVGA - stay tuned! :D

Dave in Houston

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:40:38 pm

Thanks for your response.

I'm now wrestling with another graphics problem. After I got the system working with the graphics on the motherboard, I put it into its resting place on a KVM switch with some other systems. It started and ran OK, but Chrome wouldn't start properly.

I browsed the forums, then ran a command from terminal mode that I can't remember entirely, but that I believe that was to make it download a fresh copy of the whole system.

After that, whenever I start up, it tells me the system is starting in low-graphics mode. After it tells me to wait a minute it never comes back.

I then disconnected it from the KVM switch and connected it directly to a dedicated monitor, and it starts up fine. I did it twice to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

I'm going to poke around a bit to see if I can find an answer to that problem, and if I don't I will probably start a new thread. I need to get the system working properly with the on-board grahics before I work on getting the GeForce graphics to work.

I'm having some fun, anyway. Sort of.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave in Houston

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00:47 am

Further to my second post above:

I didn't see anything on this forum that seems relevant to my problem.

A quick google search led to several discussion about problems when using KVM switches. I think this one might be relevant, but I'm not sure:

http://robert.penz.name/219/workaround- ... -switches/

Anyway, I've run out of time for playing with computers tonight.

Dave

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:57:33 am

If you are using Zorin 9 RC, this is based on Ubuntu 14.04 - found this:

http://adywp.blogs.unhas.ac.id/2014/05/ ... ntu-14-04/

Dave in Houston

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:47:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm still using Zorin 8. Are you recommending Zorin 9 these days?

In either case, I've put this problem on hold for a while. I'm trying to load Zorin to replace XP on a couple boxes my church.

Hi I am not sure when 9 will be out - the Devs released the RC for feedback of issues so that these can be ironed out before the final is released. I would be tempted to opt for Zorin 6 as this has long-term support until 2017 (April). When 9 is finally released it will be supported 'til April 2019.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:29:39 pm

Hi, I would drop back to Zorin 6 for now as this is Long Term Support until April 2017. 9 RC is not the final release as the devs need feedback of any issues and to try and resolve these where possible to get a good final release. Zorin 8/8.1 expires 17 July! Zorin 9 final will be LTS to April 2019.