This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

TOO STUPID to help myself

muchmoredoc

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33:39 am

I try searching but my searches are always too vague.

HOW DO I FIND MY GRAPHICS CARD!!! I need to make sure it's working I could do it in Windows XP.

I am having monitor issues and just bought a new one (HP W2071d) and the colors are all weird.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29:28 am

Open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and run the following command.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 VGA

It will tell you all you need to know about your GPU card, gpu driver, gpu ID etc.

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33:09 am

Thank you Madvinegar,
When I follow your direction, I get this reply:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000] [1002:9616]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8388]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

Unfortunately, it means little to me. My REAL questions are, "Is my video card doing all it can for me?" and "how do I adjust it so it is?"

I am not a gamer (but do watch video and work with photos on my machine) and just installed a new monitor that is "suspend-compatible", an HP W2071d, replacing my Acer AL1916c, which was not (and otherwise working just fine).

Another related question; I have installed f.lux (both the linux and Windows versions in desperation) and I think it is working, but not well, as my screen colors act strange after sunset, changing from pinkish to green and showing horizontal distortion at times (this is not happening when the sun is up).

I had f.lux on my previous XP (not dual booted, on a dying hard drive which prompted my fresh install of Zorin 6.4 32 about a week ago), so I know how it should behave. I should probably only have one version on my machine but don't know which one to use or how to tweak it in linux. The windows version let me adjust it but now I can't find it. Zorin does not seem to have a "tray" like windows, and all I find in WINE is the option to Uninstall it. Ugh.

Any further help would be much appreciated. (Not sure if this should go in another thread, but since this is my first response, I thought it should go here) - thanks, you allowed me to ask my real questions!

madvinegar

Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55:00 am

Your Card is Radeon 3000 (ID 1002:9616) and is working with the Radeon driver. The radeon driver is the open source linux driver.
You have a choice to install the closed source proprietary driver from AMD called fglrx. With this driver your system will have better performance and graphics handling.

The only problem is that (I think) AMD has stopped the support for linux for cards 2000 and 3000 for the latest versions of Linux so I am not sure if all will be ok if you will actually install the proprietary drivers.

What version of Zorin have you installed?
If you have Zorin 6.0 I think it is safe to install the proprietary drivers (fglrx) as the support for them is ok in these earlier versions.
If you want to keep using the Radeon driver, I strongly suggest to try Zorin 9 (even if it is an RC right now), as Zorin 9 will be an Long Term Support version, plus it has the kernel 3.13 which is very supporting for the AMD cards using the Radeon driver (you can try it in a live USB/CD before installing it and see for yourself if it works better).

To install the fglrx driver in earlier versions you just open "additional drivers" from the menu and then select to enable it (and restart).
To install the fglrx driver in latets versions you open the update manager, and from the top menu you select repositories > additional drivers tab

If you ask me, I would stick with the radeon open source driver if there is no need for heavy gaming. But I would install Zorin9 to have better support.