This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Too stupid to extract a zip file

muchmoredoc

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:35:48 am

I downloaded the help manual but I cannot extract it. I could do such a task in Windows but not here in Linux land. Nothing I try works. Help me help myself. Please.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28:06 am

Open the software center and install "7zip". (also tick the box to install "rar").
Then just right click the file you want to extract and select "extract here".

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45:45 am

I may be wrong, but I thought it could be extracted using 'Archive Manager' - just right-click the downloaded file and select 'open with Archive Manager' - and 'extract'. :D

madvinegar

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11:28 pm

If it is a zip file it needs 7zip. Only if it is tar.gz etc. it can be extracted using archive manager.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:19:46 pm

Sorry madvinegar, I thought he was pertaining to the post install guides or the unofficial guide I uploaded which are in tar.gz and tar respectively! :oops:

madvinegar

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47:59 am

Maybe you are right Swarf. However, since in the post's title it says "extract a zip file", I thought I had to explain the difference between zip and tar.gz extractions.

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15:23 am

Thanks VERY MUCH folks for the replies! I believe I am teachable. Thanks for bearing with me.

madvineager:
7zip is already installed on my machine (6-4 32bit). I cannot find it in the list of applications to open this file and to my eyes my only other option is to look online. I don't know where to find the 7zip program on my machine. Don't know where to look to find it or how to do a search on my machine like I used to in XP.

Swarfendor,
When I extract the .zip I get a file ending in .mht. When I try to open it, I get this error:

Invalid url: '/home/james/.cache/.fr-OnlouL/New' given, exiting

No ':' in the uri

I have seen this a couple of other times trying to open things. I don't know what it means or what to do about it.

Thanks, again!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16:57 pm

The standard 7-zip normally requires command lines to work - I am a bit lazy on this so I install the Windows version using wine. I suspect that you may have attempted to download something as 'save target as' and it downloads the web page instead of the application which means you HAVE to click on the download link! :D