This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't get Zorin9 to Boot From USB

methomas

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:11:31 pm

I have a new Dell Laptop. As with a lot of new laptops it doesn't have CD/DVD drive.
I had no trouble installing version 8.1 with the USB Pendrive.

But I have downloaded version 9 three times and put it on different pendrives but, my computer doesn't reconize it and just loads the original OS from the hard drive.

Has anyone else had this problem and is it a problem with the loader?

Thanks,

M E

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27:18 pm

Hi and welcome! :D

You say it is a new Dell Laptop - with Windows 8.1 no doubt - are you intending to dual-boot or replace?

methomas

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12:42 am

It had windows 8.1 but I got rid of that microcrap!

I am trying to get Zorin 9 install as the second system to Zorin 8.1.

I have it solved now. I used YUMI from pendrivelinux.com on a windows 7 PC and made a multiboot USB Drive but with only Zorin 9.

It boots up live and I will install tomorrow and report back.

M E

Follow up...

I made a new PenDrive with YUMI that uses it's on Boot and doesn't use the Boot from Zorin 9 and it installed but didn't install the Grub2 correct. I reinstalled and it repeated the Grub2 messup.

So, I reinstalled Zorin8.1 as the second OS and Zorin8.1 installed it's Grub correct.

Now, I have 8.1 and 9 as dual system.

I think there may be a problem in the Boot for a USB Pendrive and installing Grub 2 from the Pendrive.

I don't have a CD/DVD burner so I don't know if it installs from a DVD.

I now have Zorin 9 to play with,

M E

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24:24 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback - can you PM the Admins and let them know about this? It may help them iron things out before the final release of 9 is made as currently RC is for testing only - much like Windows 8 RC was! :D