This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin Menu crashed - won't restart

muchmoredoc

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:20:23 pm

I have tried restarting it and the whole computer several times. It will not come back. Using 6.4

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20:31 pm

Hi, could you give us some more details please? Do you mean the Z button has disappeared? Is it showing something like this?

x x
|
¬

Have you tried right-click and relaunch?

Unfortunately the 'nose' and 'mouth' don't show correctly in post!

muchmoredoc

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04:32 am

Yes, the Z button is now a sad face. Multiple attempts to click it do nothing (it "spins" as if trying to restart but does not).

Right clicking brings up AWN.

Multiple restarts of the computer do nothing.

I read one of Wolfman's posts about repair and started in recovery mode and ran dpkg which added stuff to my system but the Z button is still nonfunctional.

This Z problem seemed to occur after I ran the 'janitor' program and deleted a bunch of stuff. I thought it was like CCleaner, which I am used to using. Apparently, I over did it?

Running 6.4 on a 32-bit AMD Athlon II 2 250 x 2 and a brand new Seagate 500GB HD

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04:26 pm

OK, please open Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) and:

1. Search for 'GnoMenu' - if you get a result, mark all packages for reinstallation - might also be worth checking for 'Fix Broken Packages'

2. Search for 'Zorin' - mark the two packages that are present for reinstallation.

Keep us posted! :D

muchmoredoc

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:51:23 am

How do I open the "Menu" without the Z (Menu) button? I don't know where to find these programs without the "Z" to get to the System Menu.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:55:05 am

Sorry, my bad! :oops:

Press Ctrl+ Alt+ T to open a terminal then enter:

Code:
sudo synaptic

you will be asked for your login password - then follow my guidance on last post! :D

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50:12 am

Thanks!
I followed your advice. I downloaded a bunch of stuff. Synaptic said:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...

I let it marinate in this mode for about 24 hours (Yes, an entire day!) and it wasn't done yet so I cancelled and restarted, downloading a bit less stuff, this time only about 1623MB, as opposed to roughly 3.7GB yesterday. I'm hoping it "takes" this time.

Before I retried, I installed some updates that were awaiting me.

I'll let you know how this all works out the second go 'round.

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:59:43 am

Forgot to mention, when I first attempted reinstalling the GnoMenu stuff I got this error message, which may have been the reason my first attempt hung:
W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://deb.opera.com stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 517590D9A8492E35

W: Failed to fetch http://deb.opera.com/opera/dists/stable/Release

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I did not recieve any error messages with my second attempt, which is in progress as I type this.

I will let you know how it goes! Thanks much!!

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:24:58 pm

The second attempt at install worked. I have restored the Zorin Menu and it's contents. Thanks, Swarfendor!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26:46 pm

No problem friend! I hate to hear of stories of yours - it should not have taken that long to fix; I get disheartened when I hear of issues like this! Glad you are sorted, that's the main thing for now! :D

Will mark as [SOLVED]