This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Scroll wheel - had it, then lost it

muchmoredoc

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:26:55 pm

Actually I didn't have it, had it, had it "backwards" - worked opposite what I was used to, now it's non-functional. What's up? Zorin 6.4

How do I get it back? VERY attached to the scroll wheel function!!

Thanks.

muchmoredoc

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52:18 am

Now, it's back again - in reverse mode (scrolling down, the page goes up, and vice-versa - this is opposite of how it was in XP). I don't know what happened to bring it back. I'll take it, but I'd like to know why, because I don't know why I lost it in the first place.

I plan on switching over to OS9 when it is officially released, as I'm having enough problems with 6.4 as it is.

Thanks for any insight into this situation!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:26:01 pm

Hi, has this happened after a kernel update I wonder? Did you receive a notice from Update manager recently to update the system?

muchmoredoc

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49:18 am

I did some updates and also ran the "janitor" program, which seemed to cause a lot of the various issues I posted. I am used to using CCleaner on my XP and thought this was similar, but I may have removed needed components of the install!

In the case of the scroll wheel, I also think disconnecting a KVM switch I was running it through helped,.although I did have scroll use before when running it through the switch.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57:53 am

So had you removed the kvm and it worked or removing caused the issue? Janitor tends to remove earlier kernels - you could do a manual install but lunch is at an end now so will have to wait til later! :D

muchmoredoc

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55:30 am

Update: I lost the scroll function on a reboot. It was accompanied by the unstable color on my screen as well. Additional restarts that resulted in "accurate" colors also seems to restore my scroll function. That is my impression thus far. Seems odd to me that these two would be at all related.

I am doubting removal of the KVM switch was a factor in my situation at this point. Any idea what's going on here? I'm afraid to restart my computer for fear of "losing" my scroll wheel again.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58:25 am

I can't comment as I don't have a KVM switch - however I did notice after trying changing my video connections on another distro (my Graphics Card has: VGA, DVI, HDMI) it reported 'failed to launch KVM at boot' - so there could be a link (allbeit tenuous to my experience!) :D