This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

over-saturation youtubes, multimedia prob?

yonnie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00:10 am

Using 8 lite. Dell 8110. Cannot get firefox to display youtubes properly. They look like a Hendrix poster from the 60's. With link content from other pages active behind them. Am I missing a codec?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32:53 pm

No I don't think it's a coded issue but possibly a Firefox one - have you tried another browser? It's either Firefox or some sort of Graphic RAM leakage is all I can think of - I have seen this on my rig with Zorin 8 Core - can't comment on Lite - can you go into 'Advanced' settings of Firefox (Edit | Preferences | Advanced) and go to the 'General' Tab and 'uncheck' 'Use hardware acceleration if available' and see if that improves things:

06.jpg

yonnie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:05:07 pm

Screenshot_from_2014-07-14.png
This is what it looks like still, no change after turning off hardware acceleration.

yonnie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22:38 pm

Screenshot2_from_2014-07-14.png

Look how whacky Chrome looks! The previous was Firefox.

yonnie

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37:54 am

Tried several different flavors of Ubuntu's live, xubuntu, lubuntu, mint, bodhi, zorin8-lite and even pclos. They all work fine! As soon as I re-install zorin8-lite, it goes to s***! What's up with that?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:54:55 am

Well just to point out that 8 (all variants) is now end-of-life - you could try 6 like another user has done and not had any issues! :D

yonnie

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:48:20 am

End of life? It was just released! Here's the announcement: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2014/04/10/z ... -released/ Kind of short-lived isn't it? Is this a record? 3 whole months?

Wolfgang02

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:10:32 am

yonnie, pick up your rig and throw it through the nearest window.

STOP ... STOP!! I am only joking :lol:

OK, as far as 8 lite being out of support - I am not sure but I do know that you can still buy and download 8 from the website. So lets hope Swarfendor can clear /confirm the end of support. I am running 8 premium and I am waiting for 9 to come out before I upgrade this one and my other PCs.

Back to your problem - Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1699195

I have not done any updates and I am not a big fan of you tube fan so I can not comment but I think the above may help you.

Let us know how you get on.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00:48 pm

Please see Wolfman's Post here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7016&p=33210&hilit=Zorin+8+end+of+life#p33210

Zorin 9 Core and Ultimate (Premium) are now out!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7829

yonnie

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:29:05 pm

Yes, I am considering tossing this tower "out the window".

I find it odd that zorin would produce a release only a few months prior to it's known "end of life" cycle.

The main question about the video quality still does not get answered. A whole plethora of ubuntu-based Live distro's run and the video is fine. As soon as Zorin 8 lite is installed the video goes from fine to not good. It's not just youtube on FF, it's also Chrome the whole browser. Since they're all based on Lubuntu, then they should all have the same issue, they don't. I already know they all have the same screwed-up automagic installer.

I think I should just go ahead and toss this out the window.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35:23 pm

Before you do that you might like to try LXLE 12.04 - i put it on a friends 10 year old Toshiba Notebook and it was a lot snappier than XP!

Wolfgang02

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:04:14 am

yonnie, from the link I posted earlier, the problem might be an update which is not applied to the live version but when the OS is installed the update is applied and screws things up.

Some people had success by using different techniques and I thought I would give you the link so you could try them and see if it helped you.

Did you try out any of the solutions?