This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Canon printer driver MP220

Blackbrook

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04:14 am

Hi, help please. Newbie to Linux a few months ago, (Mint 16 32bt) Installed Zorin 8 (64bt) four days ago, with a couple of small caveats I love it BUT I cant install My Canon MP220 driver. Mint finds it and auto installs, I have found similar questions but I need some help guys. I`m not completely useless but please dont make it complicated.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:55:32 pm

HI, having just checked on a different distro, also based on ubuntu it should already be there.

1. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

It should bring this up:

49.png

Click on 'Add' (plus sign '+')

01.png

37.png

04.png

06.png

30.png

Blackbrook

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17:31 pm

Hi, many thanks for the info. It didnt work straight away BUT there was enough info on the net to combine with this and get the printer working. I had got to the "add printer" screen before but the printer is USB and it wouldnt install any drivers or offer a manufacturers list. I then chose the parallel port (even though nothing is connected to it) and the manufacturer list came up! I installed the driver (which obviously didnt work) and then went into the printer property settings and changed the device URL from LPT1 to usb://Canon/MP220%20series?serial=E0F4C2&interface=1 bingo! happy bunny time.
Incidentally I also ran Zorin 9 from disk and it found the printer straight away.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:53:10 am

Hi, that is why I always run 'system-config-printer' - the add printer can baulk a little while the network options etc start to load. Glad you are sorted! :D